Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Four carseats?

Default Four carseats?

I have a question for those with twins. We are currently using 2 Graco Snugrides with 4 bases ( 2 in my car and 2 in DH's). Because I'm still off of work with the babies we really haven't had them in DH's car very often. I thought we would get pretty long use out of the Snugrides becuase the twins were smaller than average. Unfortunately, it looks like they're going to exceed the height requirement (29") long before they exceed the weight - probably in the next month or so. I managed to get 2 of the Britax Marathons that Target was clearancing out last week (50% off ) so we have those when they're ready. It looks like I'll be going back to work in the next month or so and the babies will be going to the daycare at my work. My husband works shift work (24 on, 48 off) and wants to pick up or keep the kids home with him sometimes. Would you buy 2 more car seats?? It seems like it would be a hassle to keep moving the marathons. Not to mention, I doubt the day care would like me leaving those huge seats there for my husband... I guess it's normal for parents to have a car seat in both cars for their baby but with twins buying 4 seats seems ridiculous. Do any of you have 4 seats?

we do. we have two in my car and 2 in dh's car. so much easier, imo. i always worry about proper installation and possible wear and tear with the constant in/out.
    neeley

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about getting something like 2 scenera's for your DH's car? You don't necessarily need 2 more MA's, especially if this is not for daily use. There are other seats out there like the roundabout 50 (which is basically a stripped down MA) that would be good as well.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

guess it's normal for parents to have a car seat in both cars for their baby but with twins buying 4 seats seems ridiculous. Do any of you have 4 seats?
    I don't have twins, but anyone with more than 1 child where both parents need to transport generally have a set of seats for each car.

Also, the 29" is just a guideline, you can use the Snugride as long as they have an inch of shell above their heads.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Also, the 29" is just a guideline, you can use the Snugride as long as they have an inch of shell above their heads.
    That's what I've always heard/read.

And I wish I had time to pull up the "how many carseats do you have?" thread. You'd fall over.

We have a full set of seats in each car, plus one in Grandma's, so 7.
    As far as what to get, I can tell you that we looooooove having 3 Marathons plus one extra cover. When a child gets sick or when a seat just gets nasty on its own, it is really great to know we can pop a clean cover on it and take time to wash the soiled one the right way. If you don't have a cover, you have to take that seat out of rotation while waiting for your cover to air dry.
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 08-12-2009 at 03:19 PM.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH doesn't keep the kids often on his own, so we just switch cars for the day.

I just bought 2 more Marathons for my dd2 this week. We have one in each car for my
    dd1 and I can't even tell you how helpful it has been. It doesn't matter who picks up dd or which car we drive. There is always a seat available. For me its worth it to spend the money for peace of mind. DD is 4 and has used the seat since she was 5 months old. I know she will use it for another year or so when you divide up the cost per year, its not as much. That is how I justify it anyway. So if you can swing it, its totally worth it.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

we have always only had one set of seats for our twins, but dh drives a truck. If he needed to take them somewhere, we would just switch cars for the day. If that isn't an option, I would look into a cheaper seat for the less used car - like the scenera. We just used them on vacation, and it was fine. They are also lighter and easier for traveling than two Marathons would be, imo.

For us, if is so much easier to switch cars, rather than the car seats.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Four seats, schmore seats. At one point, I had 9 seats for 2 children (plus an infant seat, so actually had 10 seats). I gave 3 of those seats to their old daycare when we left, so now I just have 6 seats for 2 children. 2 in each of our vehicles (Monterey/Marathon & Nautilus/Marathon) and 2 spares (Radians) -- plus the (soon to be expired) infant seat.

I would definitely get spare seats. You don't have to get expensive ones -- something like a Scenara is fine & very reasonably priced.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast