Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree with PP that it is completely rude and obnoxious to phrase it so demandingly and ask that all meat be out of the house! I have a peanut-allergic friend and vegetarian friends and we happily accommodate that during visits, but they would *never* expect us not to have meat in the house. I hope it is a misunderstanding...otherwise the hotel suggestion is a very good one!
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Loved reading these replies- thanks everyone for confirming my hunch! My poor sister was not graced with many social skills so she wasn't sure if she was out of line for reacting badly to this request. She calls me for etiquette advice. I told her this chick was out of line and if she really felt that strongly about things then she should be making alternative arrangements for her stay rather than impose her restrictions on her host. Oh, verified that there are no religious or allergy reasons involved, just personal choice.

My sister is now freaking out b/c this same woman sent another email saying, "I'm allergic to cats, can you keep your 4 cats in the basement for the 9 days I am there? Oh, and can I bring my golden retriever?" !!??!! My sister's initial thought was that she is just going to feed the 4 cats raw beef in the middle of the living room.

She handed it all off to her dh to handle. Hopefully something can be worked out. Allergies, I understand. But, moving the cats to the basement isn't going to do anything unless my sister buys all new clothes, bedding furniture, carpeting... so I think her guest is going to have trouble no matter what my sister decides to do.

Beth

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh good grief! I'd respond, "the cats can be put away but the cougar needs to sleep in the living room".

I'm allergic to cats and like other posters I would make my own arrangments before hand to not sleep in a cat household. It's just common sense, then again it seems like it's not so common anymore.

Honestly, I would tell hubby he needs to tell his friend to go stay with picky chick somewhere else and we can meet for dinner. What's next? The kids need to sleep in the backyard?
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My sister is now freaking out b/c this same woman sent another email saying, "I'm allergic to cats, can you keep your 4 cats in the basement for the 9 days I am there? Oh, and can I bring my golden retriever?" !!??!! My sister's initial thought was that she is just going to feed the 4 cats raw beef in the middle of the living room.
    Seriously, this woman has stepped way past anything reasonable. Lock your cats in the basement for 9 days while I bring my huge ol' dog? Wow. If her request to empty the house of meat didn't warrant an invitation to get a hotel, that last bit surely would. Hopefully the friend is taking notes about the type of craziness he is involved with.
    Last edited by ellies mom; 08-13-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I am totally flabbergasted. Totally. I think that friend and girlfriend should stay at a hotel and your sis DH should do some stuff with them during the day and maybe they can all meet (meat lol) up for meals. Maybe at a steakhouse. he he. I really think the DH's friend is showing some serious lack of social skills too. So I was supposed to come for a weekend (just me?) but instead I'll come for 9 days with my gf and her DOG and her neurosis.... OMG. But once again I'm on night shift so my filters are a little down but I would totally not be cool with this AT ALL.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Loved reading these replies- thanks everyone for confirming my hunch! My poor sister was not graced with many social skills so she wasn't sure if she was out of line for reacting badly to this request. She calls me for etiquette advice. I told her this chick was out of line and if she really felt that strongly about things then she should be making alternative arrangements for her stay rather than impose her restrictions on her host. Oh, verified that there are no religious or allergy reasons involved, just personal choice.

She handed it all off to her dh to handle. Hopefully something can be worked out. Allergies, I understand. But, moving the cats to the basement isn't going to do anything unless my sister buys all new clothes, bedding furniture, carpeting... so I think her guest is going to have trouble no matter what my sister decides to do.

Beth

She's quite a piece of work, huh? Good luck to your sister having to deal with her at all.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh my. I have no words. Your poor sister...I'd be trying to find a way to make that visit really, really short and involve a hotel in the process ASAP.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This woman is a total screwball. I sure hope your sister's DH doesn't think his friend is important enough to try to accommodate the girlfriend.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This sounds like a terrible joke or possibly a really funny novel. I'm amazed people actually ACT like that!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast