Default When to pick up Munire crib? Advice needed!

Back in April we ordered a Munire crib from USA Baby. They told us 8-12 weeks. Finally at about 16 weeks it has come in! Here's the problem, it's 2 hours away and I'm due anytime now. The store has asked for 2 days' notice before coming. When I ordered it, I asked them to inspect it for defects prior to us coming.

My husband and I were going to borrow my father's truck and pick it up if it had come in on time. Now, I can't go. Since I am a strong "Type A" and the crib was so expensive, I'm not really feeling comfortable trusting my father to pick it up. Because of the quality issues others have reported and the expense, I want to inspect it for flaws before signing for it. We also have purchased a bassinet and a PNP so having a place for the baby to sleep is not an issue. My husband thinks I'm being silly because the crib will get damaged from wear and tear anyway. I'm putting cloth crib guards on the edges first thing to help combat this.

So, what would you all do? 1. Send my father and get over it OR 2. wait a month or so and go myself? What flaws are liveable and which ones are unacceptable and worth dealing with? I know this is supposed to be a good brand, but I don't want nice furniture that came damaged!

Thanks!!!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Honestly, you will be very busy with a one month old and will find it hard to go anyway. I would ask you father to pick it up. Can you ask him to examine it carefully and make sure there are no imperfections? Munire cribs scratch easily, so it is a valid concern. Mine looked perfect but then had a manufacturing defect and had to be returned.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

you mentioned that you and your husband were going to borrow your father's truck to pick it up...can't your husband go pick it up on his own? Thats what i would do. i'm sure you can just tell him to inspect it before signing for it and be really careful with it when he loads it on the truck.

i had my Munire crib delivered and assembled yesterday by the store's delivery service. So the delivery peeps unloaded it from the truck, bring it in our house and set it up themselves. There were no issues (scratches, dings, etc) with it at all. And i'm very much a Type A person (extremely anal about little imperfections).

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Get it now. Sure you could go into labor now- or in a few weeks. It's only 2 hours away. I personally just wouldn't be too worried about it going into labor. And, as pps said, it is far easier to go now than it will be with a newborn (timing feedings for the outting, getting the energy to go, fitting baby in the truck...). If you really can't go now send your dh or just give clear instructions to your dad.

Beth

The crib has been picked up by my father and sister. The store says they leave them packaged so as not to do further damage when you transport them home. It's not perfect, but I am satisfied enough with what I can see so far. My father (an engineer) didn't mention any problems with assembly or missing parts. It's seems pretty sturdy. My father only complained about it being white! The paint is thin along parts of the top railing and you can see the wood underneath, but no chips and it seems smooth. There is a small dent on the front, but the same thing will probably happen soon with use. I didn't want to pay $1000 for a hardwood bed for 2-3 years of use! The vertical slats don't seem all that strong and have some uneven parts in the wood, but they just need to keep the baby in. Hopefully, our child won't kick them too much when he's bigger. All in all, I think the crib is nice. It's attractive and doesn't feel like it will fall apart which were biggest priorities. With my super high standards, I'd rate it a 7 or 8 out of 10 so that's liveable (for me).

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm glad you got it set up already. I find that Munire cribs are super sturdy and incredibly beautiful, but the paint scratches easily which is annoying when you pay a good amount of money for a crib. Be careful when bending over the railing with belts or zippered sweaters.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I have ordered white Baby Trend Fleece Rail Covers so hopefully that will help prevent damage! I've also learned that I can't reach the back corners to change the sheets from the front (I'm 5'3" and hope to get back to size 6 soon!) so we can't have any furniture on the sides of the crib which is unfortunate since the nursery is smallish.