brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Little Tikes recalls 1.6 million toys (workshop sets, trucks)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't want to be a jerk because its a serious issue, but it was an 11 month old playing with a toy that is rated for an older child.

Quote Originally Posted by traciann View Post
    I don't want to be a jerk because its a serious issue, but it was an 11 month old playing with a toy that is rated for an older child.

I can't believe they're recalling 15 years worth of toys because one child was left unsupervised or otherwise neglected for a minute.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I agree with you, (I didn't see the age of the child). However, I think an item "3-1/4 inches long by 1-1/4 inch in diameter" seems large to become lodged in the throat, which would make me concerned for my older DC who could play with it at nearly three, but might possibly still put it in their mouths, ykwim?

Okay, then what about all those construction sets with screws and nails of similar sizes?

I'm glad to see Little Tikes being a good neighbor, but this verges on the ridiculous for me.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    Okay, then what about all those construction sets with screws and nails of similar sizes?

I'm glad to see Little Tikes being a good neighbor, but this verges on the ridiculous for me.

I saw this on the news this morning and the screw is huge. This will cost them so much money. I realize it is best to err on the side of caution, but society is going to get pretty used to corporate america footing the bill for careless parenting.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have the workbench. I really would not have hestitated to let DS2 hold onto one of the nails. It really looks too big to be a hazzard, to me. Yes, he's only 13 months, but we have older kids and so have toys for older kids. And, I can't just send my older kids to another room by themselves to play, so I pick and choose the toys we have to make them fun and safe for all. I have allowed this one. We don't have Legos and things like that. And, yes he's supervised and I do not think I am neglecting him, but I can not give him 100% of my attention 100% of the time because I have other kids. Do people really only have toys that are suited to the youngest one in the family?

I'm not commenting on whether it should be a recall or not, but just that people think a younger child shouldn't have been around this or if he was he was being neglected by a parent.
    Kris

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by traciann View Post
    Here's the thing, though. The small parts standard covers toys for under 3 years old. The label on the package saying 2+ has no meaning from a safety standpoint, it is simply their guess as to what age would be interested in the toy. A toy labeled for 2 year olds has to meet the same standards as for an infant. It also doesn't matter if they label it 3 and up if the toy is something that would commonly be used by a child under 3. These are clearly toys intended for toddlers (under 3) by looking at the picture.

We have similar bolts on a toy workshop and while they don't fit in the parts testing tube, I can see where they could be a problem. They also made the heads of those bolt right at the standard of 1.25" wide. Would it really have hurt to make them 1.5"?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)