arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default When are kids ready for Disney?

I'm sure this must have been asked but I could not find an old post. When are kids old enough to enjoy WDW?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's a matter of personal opinion I think- I felt 3 was the absolute youngest age- they are old enough and tall enough to experience a lot, they arent being carried around, and from my experience, they remember the trip even a year later. Others take infants. My own husband doesn't even agree with age 3- he thinks 5 or 6!

It depends what age you are comfortable traveling with!

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, we've not been to DL yet with kids. However, my DH agrees with the age of 5-6, like PP said. But I think DD is ready now, at age 3.75. We are just starting to plan a trip to DL. (DH finally caved ) I think we'll go in the next couple of months.

But, if we were going to WDW, then I would wait until she was a bit older. Maybe 5 or 6, because there is so much more to see. I think it depends on the kiddo, though.
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well Sarah has been at least 10 times startng at 14 months. Amy has already been twice.

Many people compare WDW to parks like Six Flags where there is very little for a very young child to do. WDW is not like that at all. Regardless of age, a child can enjoy almost all the attractions in the park except for the handful of thrill rides (and even those are quite tame compared to other major amusement parks).

Personally, I think age 4 is kind of perfect. They are old enough to really "get it", but not so old that they no longer believe in the magic. When Sarah was younger, she really believed the Cinderella in the park was Cinderella. Now she knows its just someone in a costume. She still loves it and enjoys it, but it is not the same sense of wonder and magic.

WDW is really a family park, to be enjoyed by families of all ages. So go whenever you like.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thanks everyone. DS1 is really into the Mickey Mouse characters and he really enjoys travelling, so I was thinking perhaps next year. However, I don't want to do it if it he won't be old enough to enjoy it. He will be 3 this December.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS has appeared to enjoy himself every time we've gone-- since he was 9 months old. DD was 11 months for her first visit this year, and appeared to enjoy herself as well.

We usually visit WDW one or two days when we're in Orlando to visit family, so our trips aren't all about the Mouse. They're just an added bonus on the vacation. If it were a trip where the whole focus was WDW, maybe I'd feel differently. Really though, like Beth said, there's usually something for everyone to get out of the visit.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

cindys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have been every year since DS was born, he is now 3 1/2...Its been fun at every age...

Last year he really enjoyed it, he still talks about going to Mickeys House...

We are going back again this year..

We also had our 7week old with us last year and it was fine..At that age they are Angels and so easy to travel with.

We've gone once with kids. My son was at a great age for him - 3 1/2 - old enough to not need naps, completely potty trained, and really into all the excitement around him. He was also exactly 40 inches which is a magic number to get on several attractions my little daredevil loved. He totally loved the characters - high-5's and fully body hugs.

Little one was 3 months, so that was a nice traveling age too, eat and sleep anywhere.

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking definitely a visit next year!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009