Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long Lasting Crib

Did anyone have a crib for any length of time, ie. more than 5 years? I am looking to purchase a crib for my now one baby of 4.5 mo, but would like it to last for future children as well.
    I've looked at reviews for cribs between the prices of $200-$350, but nobody says they had them for long... I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money (because I don't have it right now), but would be willing to invest at most $400. Is this realistic??
    Thanks!

bump

anyone?

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I bought our crib about 5 years ago - it was for DD1 initially, but my ten month-old is sleeping in it now. It's no worse for wear, as far as I can tell. It's a Cara Mia. I have several friends with multiple children who still have cribs in service ...
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was given a crib made by childcraft from a family friend and its in great shape. I know it was used for at least one of her three kids for about two years and besides a few teething marks on one side from the baby and a few wear marks on the bottom of the rail (a puppy - maybe?) you'd never know it was used.

Any of the cribs made of solid wood (vs. pressed board) should last quite a while. FYI the ones without the dropsides tend to be sturdier than dropsides and won't have as many hardware failures.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My first crib lasted 3 1/2 years while DD used it as a crib then another year as a toddler bed, it was in perfect condition....I sold it to a friend who is using it, so it's been in use for 6 years and still looks brand new, it was 250, a Jardine crib (not recalled) from BRU.

My DS is 3 1/2 and still in his super cheap (99.00), but cutewhite Kmart Heritage crib, dropside style with solid back....no problems and it still looks great, we'll convert it to a toddler bed at some time...DS made a few bite marks but other than that it its in perfect shape.

SO it is possible to buy an inexpensive crib and have it last. Both my cribs look great, many friends have asked if they are from Pottery Barn so they don't look cheap.

Thank you for the answers!

My sis has a childcraft crib from abt 10 years ago, but I had heard somewhere that they are not putting out the same quality anymore... Is there any truth to that? Bec. I did see one that I liked- but it looked exactly the same as other cribs from other companies and costing a lot more $...

Or should I just spend less on an identical crib and hope it'll stand the test of time?

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Personally, I think that ALL cribs will last. They are all pretty solid and well-built (they have to be to pass the rigourous testing and standards). We had a crib for DS1 that was about $200 that was great and I finalyl gave it away a year ago, but it still looked new. Then we bought DD a crib from Ikea while DS2 was still using the old crib and hers looks great too. Very solid and no signs of wear. The price difference is really in the finishes/style/name/etc. My parents bought a crib from Wal-mart when DS1 was 4 months old and it is still going strong 7.5 years later, but not daily use (though it probably would be fine for that too). I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Personally, I think that ALL cribs will last. They are all pretty solid and well-built (they have to be to pass the rigourous testing and standards). We had a crib for DS1 that was about $200 that was great and I finalyl gave it away a year ago, but it still looked new. Then we bought DD a crib from Ikea while DS2 was still using the old crib and hers looks great too. Very solid and no signs of wear. The price difference is really in the finishes/style/name/etc. My parents bought a crib from Wal-mart when DS1 was 4 months old and it is still going strong 7.5 years later, but not daily use (though it probably would be fine for that too). I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity!
    Both of our cribs were second hand and they have held up through several children. I think the majority of cribs will be able to last the 8-10 years max most people might use it for, and beyond that you will probably want to replace due to safety standards anyway.

Default Our crib has lasted 6 1/2 years so far

We have used our crib for almost 6 and a half years nonstop (as soon as one child has grown up to a big kid bed a new baby has taken it's place). Believe it or not, we purchases it at ValueCity for $57! We plan to use it for baby #4 due this Sept/Oct. It has also been moved (care of the US Navy) three times since we got it. I think most cribs will last, you don't have to spend a lot.
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

Thanks so much for aleviating my concerns! Now I won't feel like I am throwing away money on a less expensive crib.

Now to just decided between which one... And I gotta do it soon bec. my 4.5 mo is still sleeping in a Pack N Play and I would love him to be more comfy in a normal crib!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast