Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I haven't read the other responses completely, but wanted to respond. We are Christians. We don't ban Santa, talk of Santa, etc. We don't encourage it either though. We talk about Christ's birth, we celebrate Advent (the period of preparation, calanders, lighting of candles, reading of verses, etc.), we read lots of stories including ones about St. Nick so the children have an understanding of where Santa is derived from, etc. As the kids ask questions we typically give a question back and let them ponder it. For example- How does Santa fly? How do you think he does? What do you think? and let them come up with something.

As for gifts, the only gift that comes from "Santa" is if they go with my dad to his firedepartment where a very nice, but not very realistic "Santa" gives it to them. All other presents come from whoever actually gave it to them. We don't lie to them about it though (all your presents are from Santa, etc). Especially because we don't want them to say "Well they lied about the Santa part, maybe they lied about the Jesus part too."

JMHO~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

We do not do Santa.

Growing up, my family did. Then one year, a mean girl at school told me the truth. My mom said, "as long as you believe, he'll come."

A year or so later, my parents had an ugly divorce. They fought all the time, one would leave and I would cry cry cry. I remember hiding my mom's car keys. I also remember her telling me that she wouldn't leave.....but I didn't believe her.

She'd ruined my trust in her because of a stupid mythical man who brings everyone presents. She LIED to me. I was devastated.

Now that I'm a mom, I make darn sure not to lie to my kids. I want them to know that I will tell them the truth, even if it does take out some 'fun' or if it hurts a little.

Christmas is a special holiday in our house--as Christians we celebrate it as Jesus's birth (and my oldest's birthday too!). We give gifts, we decorate, we bake and we talk about St. Nicholas--one who gave to those who were in need--we do that too.

But Santa?? Bah humbug!!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

To the OP, we haven't gotten there yet, as the girls haven't asked us about Santa specifically. They see the guy at the mall or ringing the Salvation Army bell and when they ask we say it's Santa Claus. And there's not follow up (yet). We are Christian and do teach them explicitly that Christmas is Jesus' birthday. Dora also has a child's book of of prayers, and there's one in there about Jesus' birthday.

As for Santa, I am planning on telling them about the original Santa Claus, and how we like to remember him, and that is why there are so many of them around during the season. I will not tell them that he comes down the chimney, but they have a Twas the night before Christmas book and felt board, so I could just say it's a fun story about him. I'm certainly not going to do the naughty or nice thing, that's just wrong.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

We don't do Santa. I'm not opposed to Santa in theory, but as a Christian, I just would rather celebrate the season for exactly what it is - a celebration of the birth of Christ. So many holidays have lost the real meaning for why they exist, I just choose specifically with Christmas and Easter to make them about Christ (we don't do the Easter bunny either).

Since DC are still young, we have not had to deal with questions about Santa or anything serious as of yet, but I anticipate talking to them about the spirit of Santa Claus and how that is derived from Saint Nicholas. I want them to know that the gifts they receive are from their father and I who love them. We do stockings, but they are filled with treats from DH and I.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks for everyone's response on this thread! I really enjoyed reading everyone's take on this subject. I just wanted to let you guys know that I will probably be looking back to this thread over the next couple months as I think about this topic, and I didn't just start the thread and then abandon it!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We don't go to church/practice. Santa is very real here. So is the Easter bunny. So are the animals on DS #1's bed who I make talk for him. My fingers are known as "itsy bitsy mousiekins" and they talk and do things with DS. We do a ton of pretend stuff. It keeps me sane (the socks say "hey pick me up, I hate the floor! it is cold!!" DS RUNS to get them off the floor. Hey whatever works right. NOT that Santa = socks BUT we live in an imaginative place. I am SURE DSs are scarred for life
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3