Default Baby thermometer vs. regular thermometer??

Um, ok, this may be a dumb question, but just wondering..... Are "baby" thermometers very different from regular thermometers? Can we use our regular digital thermometer for our baby-to-be, or do we need to buy a special baby-style one....?

Well, I guess part of the question is how do you plan to take the babies temp? Most doctors want a rectal temp if you are calling with a sick baby (and obviously you don't want to use your thermometer for that.) They make baby thermometers that just have a short narrow tip that is flexible for making rectal temp taking easier. Other people prefer to use a thermometer that reads from the ear or a temporal artery thermometer. The most important thing is a thermometer that reads quickly. You don't want to hold a sick, squirmy infant for too long to get their temp.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Thanks, Snow Mom! I think you've just answered my question....

I am planning on using a rectal (or multi-use) thermometer for the baby. We already have an adult digital thermometer that I *think* takes temps rectally, but we have actually/thankfully never had to use it ourselves! But I think we'll keep that one on reserve for the adults, now that I know they make baby-sized ones for baby butts.

Thanks again for the info.

Since you are talking about thermometers, I've been wondering what I should do about ours. I have a new multi-purpose digital that is suitable for rectal use. It came with about 10 plastic sleeves. My DH and I have used it when we were sick. Do I use it on the baby and designate it as "baby" only hereon? What happens when you no longer need to take the baby's temp rectally? Throw it away? Try to buy more sleeves for baby use and keep it for family use? I'd prefer not to think of it as a disposbable thermometer, but so be it if necessary.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I noticed when we registered for our baby therm that it has a insertion guard- which makes it easier to use just for rectal use- and insert to a certain point- it was easier for DH to use, as they make him squeamish.... ours is a Vicks. DD is almost 19 mos, and we have always taken a rectal temp.

Otherwise, we use a regular therm, and have the "covers" that are disposable. We've only used it orally!