bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I Think Huggies Lotion Stings DS's Skin

DS has been getting dry skin, so I decided to try some lotion on him. I tried a sample of Huggies Lotion with Shea Butter. DS cried a little bit, so I stopped applying it thinking he just didn't like having lotion put on him. The next day I bought some California Baby sensitive lotion and two nights of that lotion went just fine, although his skin didn't seem to be any less dry. So tonight I tried the Huggies lotion again and slathered it on thinking a thicker lotion might help the dryness more. He started screaming.and screaming.and screaming. Like the screaming he did when he got his PKU prick or a vax shot. This is a baby who normally hardly cries at all. I couldn't get him to calm down. Finally, I took his jammies off and drew another bath and instantly he was happy as a clam. Dried him off, put his diaper on, gave him his last bottle, and he is sound asleep now. So all I can conclude is that Huggies lotion stung his skin! I am not a super-organic type of person, but this has definitely changed my opinion about the big name brand commercial baby skin products!
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Try Aquaphor, its super rich and won't sting.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have also had good luck with the California Baby lotion. They have a fragrance free version that my kids like.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 reacted like this to baby oil and something else that I don't remember (one of the baby washes, I think). Baby product does not necessarily mean mild/gentle on the skin for all kids!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We found the same with the wipes. Even though alcohol free- they still stung (I know, I had a paper cut once and used a wipe - ouch!) For wipes we used the Kirkland (Costco) brand.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

a lot of them have alcohol in them. Yuck. I second the aquaphor!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm not a big fan of the Huggies toiletries. They seem to have a lot of irritating fragrances and other ingred, eventhough they're marketed as "sensitive". I would stick with CB or I use Eucerin and aquaphor.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Try Aquaphor!
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use aquaphor but I have also found that when I need a lotion that's not too thick but very moisturizing....I use Alba unscented on DD. Her skin stays really smooth except for the two patches of dry behind her legs....those get Unpetroleum jelly (also by Alba).

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Many lotions contain alcohol and other "penetrating" agents that can sting. Also your baby might be allergic to an ingredient that wouldn't necessarily bother someone else. Typical allergens can include fragrance, color, preservatives, mineral oil and petroleum products, and even natural herbal ingredients or lanolin -- it all depends on the individual.

Also, if the skin is really, really dry, just about any lotion may sting. In which case, oddly enough, just vegggie oil smeared on the spot and left for a few minutes before applying lotion worked for my DD. (Yeah, it's weird, but it might be worth a try).

Generally, your best bet is a fragrance free product with a simple formula. I love California Baby but didn't have it when my DD's were little. We used Cetaphil, Aquaphor (Calming Cream -- though sometimes this stung when skin was irritatied), and another one that I had to order from a pharmacist, Vanicream? (My DD didn't like that one, but lots of mamas swear by it).