KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Bored at school??

My DD has been in kindergarten for 2 weeks. They of course are still reviewing things. She is really bored. I think right now they are still in the number/letter writing phase. DD is almost reading so she already knows all her letters/numbers and sounds. How can I help her? Should I say something to the teacher? Or should I just wait a few weeks and tell DD she has to be patient?
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If she is reading, I would let the teacher know that in a nice, friendly conversational way. They are no doubt in the midst of assessing all the kids one on one to see what level they are at, but that process usually takes a few weeks. And even then some kids don't assess well, or don't answer the questions in expected ways and can be assessed lower than they are actually at.

Some kids don't mind the review and think it's fun to just to do whatever the other kids are doing. But welcome to elementary school. The early grades can be very frustrating for kids who are already/almost reading and don't tolerate review well.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with Beth. I think that esp with K, they will cater towards children who know the least. Kids enter K with such varying levels of knowledge. I too noticed the letter from the teacher said they would be reviewing letters, sounds, numbers and colors and my son knows all of that, he already has begun to read! However, I think that he will be ok going along with the review. I will be doing extra enrichment with him at home though.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

My dd is having the same problem. She is in preschool and an older child b/c of a fall birthday. She complained today that they are covering the same letter yesterday and today, then later she is supposed to begin writing. She can write already and is in the process of reading. The teacher did say to give her a couple of weeks to access everyone then she would give more appropriate work. I would ask if this is the case.
    Mama to 3