Smile Finding nannies in Brooklyn

Hi - I'm just about half way into my pregnancy and am starting to think about finding a nanny - am I starting too early? When should I look? What's the best place to find one? We're looking around the NYC/Brooklyn area for someone who will also do light housework but I'm overwhelmed by the number of forums, blogs etc and not sure how to start the search - all tips appreciated!

I can't speak to Brooklyn (I'm on the other side, in NJ!), but by me I think you'd be too early. Even in NYC. You still have about 4-5 months until birth, plus whatever time you'll be home on maternity leave...any nanny who's looking for a job now, unless she knows that her family is planning to move or something, will want to have a job by then. I've never done a nanny search (we've personally been a daycare family), but assuming you're going to be home for 2-3 months, you can safely do it during your leave.

Another thing to consider is the chance that whatever/whoever you like now, you may feel differently after the baby is born. I know my entire perspective changed once DD arrived.

As for where to look...I know that my local Yahoo moms group gets a lot of nanny traffic. I'm sure there's something similar in Brooklyn. I've heard many people who've have good success with Craig's List. There's also a website called sittercity.com. Or mothering.com has local discussion threads...you might find some resources there.

Good luck!
    Jessica