Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There is a set of the EB White books, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and the Trumpet of the Swan. I am reading CW to my 5 year old son, he loves it, and he's seen the recent movie version, so he was ok with the beginning and the end.

Also, I loved the Nancy Drew books at age 6.

Or some cool puzzles, it depends what she is into.

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmintzer View Post
    Depends on her abilities, but good strategy board games. My 5 1/2 year-old loves Blokus. The rules are simple, which is great for younger kids, but it can keep even adults on their toes. I was beaten by both my boys yesterday (hangs head).

I second Blokus - that is my "go-to" gift for everyone in that age range. We all play it and everyone I know who has it loves it.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Monopoly Junior. My DD#1 got this for her 4th b-day even though its for 5+. She LOVES that game.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

ds1 just turned 6 and Blokus is a hit!
    so are: SEQUENCE!
    Caves & Claws by Family Pastimes
    Make a Pie! (learn fractions) by Eboo
    we're all about educational games here, too!
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

How about a small Buddha Board? It is made for you to paint with water. Then the water dries and you can start again. www.buddhaboard.com

Or a game? Blokus and Walk the Dogs are favorites here. Set is good if an adult will work with the child to learn it.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

The other suggestions are great. Here are a couple of cheap ones to add to the list:

* a wood puzzle of the United States -- my 6 year old got one a year ago and now knows nearly all of the states

* an inflatable globe of the United Sates -- ours recently popped so I'm going to get another one. I bought it for $8 and it was very detailed globe and easy to read. Whenever we'd talk about ethnic food or anything going on in the world, we'd grab the globe. As a result, my boys learned many other countries. Of course, a more expensive globe or a large wall map would also work, but the inflatable seemed to be nice for the kids because they could turn it over, really interact with it, etc.

My girls love Sticky Mosaics --not super educational, but still great. You could throw in a book about the Greeks and how they first made mosaics. LOL

A gc to Barnes and Noble would be a hit w/mine.

Our favorite games at that age are Monopoly Jr, Herd Your Horses and Clue jr. SkipBo is good too.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

forgot another hit!
    ds1 got this Moon In My Room

ds likes it to go to sleep at night...
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

Is Castle Logix good/interesting for girls, or is it something a boy that age might appreciate more? (She has a younger brother who loves to build things...)

I love the inflatable globe idea!
    DS 7/09
    DD 1/11
    DS 12/12
    DS 11/14

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by justlearning View Post
    * an inflatable globe of the United Sates -- ours recently popped so I'm going to get another one. I bought it for $8 and it was very detailed globe and easy to read. Whenever we'd talk about ethnic food or anything going on in the world, we'd grab the globe. As a result, my boys learned many other countries. Of course, a more expensive globe or a large wall map would also work, but the inflatable seemed to be nice for the kids because they could turn it over, really interact with it, etc.
    I picked up a cheap ($14) globe this time last year at Target and DS1 (5 at the time) LOVED it! It was very easy for him to manipulate and we also always found ourselves pulling it out. While he learned a lot of countries, it also helped him see/process/cope with two friends moving far away. Anytime another country/state/city is mentioned, he grabs his globe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2