Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default This story has me so upset

It's been blanketing the air waves here all day. It is so disturbing to me on so many levels, especially because my DD is 11. I can not understand why she never ran away. 11 seems too old to forget about her family.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...28/2670153.htm
    Strollerqueen

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

From what I heard on the radio the place that she was kept with her daughters was not openable from the inside and was soundproofed. And after a certain time, she likely was under a lot of control from abuse, isolation and sexual assault. Her daughters are 15 and 11...this guy was on parole and a registered sex offender to boot. Such a tragic and horrible crime. Let's not make the mistake of blaming a child victim for not running away. I was sexually assaulted at age 11 and told no one for years, even after I was logically completely safe from my rapist (we had moved far away) because the fear of telling was very, very powerful. I can see not being able to run at first and then not having the will to run later. How awful for her and her family and her daughters. I have been thinking about it all day since I heard about it. She is my age, I can't even fathom being held prisoner for 18 years. As I understand it the man's wife knew and is being charged with kidnapping as well. Utterly despicable.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning to blame the girl. I just look at my DD, and wonder how it could happen to her, and if she would try to escape...I wondered the same thing about Elizabeth Smart, the girl in Utah who became the crazy guy's second wife. She was even older. Anyway, back to the story of Jaycee Dugard...several people were calling in to a radio program that I was listening to. They had done business with the predator/captor Phillip Garrido. He was a printer, and had Jaycee working for him. She met with clients, who all said she was very professional, very nicely dressed, always smiling. So that was more what I was thinking about. The fact that she was out in public, talking to people and not escaping. As an adult, I mean, not as a child. I understand how terrified and beat down she was when she was younger. But, I wonder why, as a grown woman, nothing triggered her to leave? I guess I don't understand the psychology of brain-washing.
    Strollerqueen

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

But, I wonder why, as a grown woman, nothing triggered her to leave?
    Why do so many grown women stay in physically and psychologically abusive relationships? Because they think they have no power, no control and that on some level they deserve it. These cases take it to a whole new level, but it happens every day in more houses than you think.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Why do so many grown women stay in physically and psychologically abusive relationships? Because they think they have no power, no control and that on some level they deserve it. These cases take it to a whole new level, but it happens every day in more houses than you think.
    How true and how sad. Also, they often feel that they can 'save' the man..that if they just try a little harder he will be that knight in shining armor they wish him to be.
    Last edited by infomama; 08-28-2009 at 06:16 AM.

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by strollerqueen View Post
    But, I wonder why, as a grown woman, nothing triggered her to leave? I guess I don't understand the psychology of brain-washing.
    They might have also threatened her children with harm.

i thought it was so sad too. the kidnappers could have also threatened the girl, saying they were going to kill her family if she tried to run.

I'm glad she finally told someone who she really is and that she is going to be reunited with her family.

I've looked up to see if there are any sex offenders in my area, and of course there are. It makes me wary of letting DD get too far away from me b/c the fear is in the back of my head that anyone can jump out of a car and just snatch her...ugh.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Stockholm Syndrome was the first thing I thought of when I heard this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
    DS1 - Oct. '09

I saw on the Today show that she sympathizes with the abductors. I know this happens with kidnap victums that have been with their abductors. She had been with them longer than her own family. I feel so happy and sad for her and her family. I am happy that she has been found but the tramatic experience she has been through will garner years of therapy. I can't imagine the guilt the family feels.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It makes me so angry. I hope those two get what they deserve.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast