Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I can't imagine how psychologically damaging it must be to be ripped from your family, basically tortured, kept in isolation for YEARS. What do you do when the man who rapes you constantly is the father of your child that you love? Just terrible. I am so happy that she's free now and I hope that she and her children can heal and find some normalcy.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This story has me sick to my stomach. I'm such a liberal but this is one thing I'm pretty conservative about. Registered sex offenders should always be on a register and should always get intense home visits. This shouldn't have happened. So, so sad.

I mean, she's reunited with her mom, but as crazy and horrible her captivity has been, it's the only life she knows and her poor children. How do they go on to live a normal life?
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can't even fathom Jaycee's strength. She lasted almost 20 years with no medical attention, even through 2 births, then first one being at 14!!! She's amazing.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's just too awful for words, and the wife in on it too is just so sick. Also the poor step father was under suspicion all this time. That poor family

This is sickening. It confirms my thoughts that registers sex offenders should never, ever, ever be considered *rehabilitated* and left under little or no supervision. Once that psychological trigger is in there they are a ticking time bomb.

I remember this poor little girls story when it happened (her name was so cute), uh, how awful to have to bear his children and love them, yet know that monster is the father.

I hope she's able to find some normalicy for herself and the girls.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Quote Originally Posted by strollerqueen View Post
    I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning to blame the girl. I just look at my DD, and wonder how it could happen to her, and if she would try to escape...I wondered the same thing about Elizabeth Smart, the girl in Utah who became the crazy guy's second wife. She was even older. Anyway, back to the story of Jaycee Dugard...several people were calling in to a radio program that I was listening to. They had done business with the predator/captor Phillip Garrido. He was a printer, and had Jaycee working for him. She met with clients, who all said she was very professional, very nicely dressed, always smiling. So that was more what I was thinking about. The fact that she was out in public, talking to people and not escaping. As an adult, I mean, not as a child. I understand how terrified and beat down she was when she was younger. But, I wonder why, as a grown woman, nothing triggered her to leave? I guess I don't understand the psychology of brain-washing.

I always wondered the same about my almost 14 yo. We started doing drills when she was 4, about how to escape, how to scream, what to do, etc. When a heartbreaking story would surface, I would get chills and wonder if my DD would try to fight.

Uuuuuuuhhhh, hope there never comes a time for the test.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There's a small, un-evolved part of my brain that keeps thinking two words:

"death penalty"
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's inexcusable that a registered sex offender, who was having home visits (!) was not caught for doing this!!! WTH???

I know OP didn't mean to blame the victim, but keep in mind she was a little girl when she was abducted. Imagine the brainwashing..

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was 14 at the time Jaycee was kidnapped and lived 2 hours away. My brother was 11 too and her kidnapping hit home because if it could happen to her it could happen to my brother. We walked or rode our bikes to school everyday, and when this happened the amount of kidnapping in Norcal had finally gone down or they had stopped being reported on like they had been in the 80s. I got in my car last night and the radio show hosts said they found a girl kidnapped from El Dorado County 18 years ago and I knew exactly who it was. The saddest part of that story for me when the kid napping happened was that summer break was to start a few days later.

I am glad she is safe, but I just don't know how she could've lived that long in fear. The radio show I listen to on the way home Jon & Ken was able to get ahold of some people who used to know the kidnapper and had done business with him. Go to this website if you want to listen to the interviews between 3 and 6 (it was very interesting): http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/johnandkenshow/index.html
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This story is virtually idential to the ones from Austria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natascha_Kampusch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast