Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    This story is virtually idential to the ones from Austria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natascha_Kampusch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case
    Well the Fritzl case was even more disturbing because it was her father. There is no way she or her children/siblings are going to ever fully recover.

It just horrifies me to think that there are probably more people somewhere in the world being held captive like that. It's just so horrible.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

NancyJ_redo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3 View Post
    There's a small, un-evolved part of my brain that keeps thinking two words:

"death penalty"
    The fully-evolved part of my brain is thinking death penalty. These two people committed what is most certainly one of the most horrific (or "several" of the most horrific) acts I can think of.

So of course hearing all of this on the news has got me thinking that I need to provide more safety education to my kids. I know this has been discussed in the past on here and I'll start searching old threads, but in the meantime if anyone wants to provide some recommendations for resources, I'm all ears

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Nooknookmom View Post
    I always wondered the same about my almost 14 yo. We started doing drills when she was 4, about how to escape, how to scream, what to do, etc. When a heartbreaking story would surface, I would get chills and wonder if my DD would try to fight.

Uuuuuuuhhhh, hope there never comes a time for the test.
    Wow... This topic is something that I try to discuss with my kids on a regular basis and I hope and pray that what I am saying is actually sinking in. I've never actually tried drills, though. How did you approach this technique at such a young age??

Does anyone have any DVDs (for children) that they recommend on this subject? My kids have watched The Safe Side: Stranger Safety several times and I've been meaning to try to find it at our new library. Any other suggestions??
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ_redo View Post
    So of course hearing all of this on the news has got me thinking that I need to provide more safety education to my kids. I know this has been discussed in the past on here and I'll start searching old threads, but in the meantime if anyone wants to provide some recommendations for resources, I'm all ears

http://www.thesafeside.com/?gclid=CM...FRIcawodm1huJQ
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Consider that in this other case, a man kidnapped, raped regularly and held captive 5 different women. 3 different women made reports after they were released and were not taken seriously or fully believed. This guy only got 18-life. One of his victims later committed suicide. It's so awful that the punishment is so light relative to the crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamelske
    Last edited by kijip; 08-28-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

NancyJ_redo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you! I just put it on hold at my local library.

Melissa, you've responded to my requests for info in the past and I regularly see you respond to others, your help is much appreciated

I just do NOT get how the wife played into this--totally, totally sicko. That poor girl/woman is never going to be normal and her kids aren't either. (Can you imagine finding out that your father is a pedophile who kidnapped and raped your mother????) Thank God she and the children are healthy.

I totally agree that sexual predators should be confined indefinitely--its not the first time they have done something, its the first time they got caught. I can sort of understand that someone could be convicted of rape and then paroled after an extended period of time. But if they do it again--that's it, throw away the key!!! (I feel the same about people with multiple DUIS)

As for not self-rescuing--even adults fall into the Stockholm Syndrome. Children would be totally brainwashed.

Elizabeth Smart is doing well (my front yard overlooks her back yard) and I see her running in the neighborhood sometimes (always with a friend). There were lots of weird things with that story and how the family handled the aftermath was odd at times--on the one hand wanting privacy and on the other practically pandering to have their story sold to make up the money it had cost them for PR people etc. I run the canyon where she was taken several times a week.

The thing to remember is that these cases really are a teeny/tiny percentage of child abductions/abuse. It still totally freaks me out and I do not want my child to be that one person. ugh.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Why do so many grown women stay in physically and psychologically abusive relationships? Because they think they have no power, no control and that on some level they deserve it. These cases take it to a whole new level, but it happens every day in more houses than you think.
    Exactly. This story illustrates the power than a parent can have over their adult children. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32592133...me_and_courts/
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I hope the girls weren't sexually abused too.

I imagine the kidnappers told Jaycee her family was dead and that she had to come with them. They probably told her there was no one to take care of her but them. This was the case with Stephen Staynor. He didn't leave his abductor until the abductor threatened to kidnap another little boy and he didn't want that to happen.

Imagine if you are that young and are trying to avoid more abuse. You try your best behavior on them. You don't want them mad at you. You try to be "good." Also, after some time, even the most heinous people let their guard down and show their softer side. When you are away from home, scared and afraid you try to form emotional attachments with the people closest to you. I'm sure they told her all kinds of crazy stuff like how good she had it and they were doing such a good job of taking care of her and whatever. Besides, once she had the children, I"m sure they threatened that she could never leave because the kidnapper was the father. And lets not forget the emotional attachment that forms when you start having sex with someone.... I'm not surprise she didn't leave.

Anyway, we have the Safe Side video and it's ok. I think it's too complicated for my 4yo. If anyone has some other good recommendations for younger children stranger safety, I"d be very interested.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just agreeing w/ the PPs about Stockholm Syndrome. It seems crazy that someone wouldn't fight/run, but it is apparently a pretty common occurrence in cases like this.

How awful.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast