Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
    These stories are terrible and everyone worries about such horrific abductions. I just want to remind everyone that they are incredibly rare. Out of the around 100 stranger abductions reported annually in the U.S., about 40% of the children are killed or never recovered. Yes, that is 100 children too many, but the odds of your child being abducted by a stranger are extremely low.

ETA: Instilling your child with a high self-esteem, some defense skills and a sense that others should not be allowed to make them uncomfortable will go further in protecting them than rehearsing scary abduction scenarios, IMO.
    Well said. I agree. I also really like the Gavin DeBecker books for this purpose.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
    ETA: Instilling your child with a high self-esteem, some defense skills and a sense that others should not be allowed to make them uncomfortable will go further in protecting them than rehearsing scary abduction scenarios, IMO.
    To each his own. I think it is important. We also do Tae Kwan Do, other activities to raise self-esteem, and yes, we talk about how it is not OK for strangers to grab them, hug them, kiss them, touch them inappropriately, etc. I do not believe it has to be an either or scenario, it can be both.
    Strollerqueen

I live 10 minutes from South Lake Tahoe, which is where she was abducted from. We were at a back to school event last night and the 6th grade teacher had been Jaycee's 3rd grade teacher. We were discussing it before we knew any of the details, just that she'd been found. Lots of tears amongst the long time Tahoe folks.

I think that he should be hung by his testicles till death and his wife should be tortured, somehow. And I am a gentle person. I just can't fathom what they have done to that poor girl and her children. To think of her giving birth to two babies in a shed, under garbage bags, just kills me. Nothing can be horrible enough for those two.

It is horrible to say, but I'd rather my daughter be killed right away, then be raped etc. for years....I am just so sick and sad over it....that poor girl. Her poor family. Her poor stepfather. He said that he was a suspect until yesterday. From the time he was 42 until now, when he is 60. Can you imagine.

Horrific. Just horrific.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

A later article with more details regarding the possible serial killer aspect of this case. Also, according to her step-dad who has been the spokesperson, Jaycee considered herself in a marriage like arrangement with the guy. She went out in public and interacted with his clients.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_13227420

It's not in this particular article but a previous article mentioned the wife matches the description of the lady who pulled Jaycee into the car.

Just sicken by this. I was so happy yesterday to hear they had found one of the lost kids that haunt my youth.
    Last edited by rlu; 08-29-2009 at 03:44 AM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

omg, that article just makes it worse....ugh.

the pictures of that backyard. all of it. tragic.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is so tragic and it makes me think of Madeleine McCann. I cannot imagine the hell a parent goes through.

Very scary story, especially when you know the guy is registered, had officers at his door to "check" on him, the parole and sheriffs officers did not communicate, and he is suspected to be involved in the serial killing of prostitutes.

I can not even begin to imagine what her family and community have gone through during this time!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

From the Huffington Post:

But neighbors said there were clues even before a parole agent on Wednesday noticed Dugard, now 29, who accompanied Garrido, his wife and the children to a parole office.

Neighbor Diane Doty said she could see the tents and often heard children playing in the backyard, the corner of which abuts her own backyard. She said she even suspected the children lived in the tents, but her husband said she should leave the family alone.

"I asked my husband, 'Why is he living in tents?'" she said. "And he said, 'Maybe that is how they like to live.'"
    This is WHY "mind your own business" is not always the best solution/answer. If I had kept my mouth shut out of consideration for my neighbor and found out what this lady did, I would have a very hard time forgiving myself.

ITA with pp that stranger abduction is a very rare thing...it gets the lion's share of the prevention message on child abuse and rape but is only a miniscule portion of a HUGE problem.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5