Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    This is true when both spouses are non-Catholic. Catholics are obligated to either marry in the Catholic Church OR have the marriage convalidated ("blessed") by a priest OR get a dispensation from these rules. The PP indicated that her husband is Catholic, therefore these rules apply to their marriage.

Rlu - if you do later decide to have your marriage convalidated by the Catholic Church, it is often a simple procedure, although some parishes may require a marriage prep class or counseling session. Some couples like to treat this event as a "second wedding" with all that entails. Other couples just do a small, private ceremony with a few family members. Your son's baptism is recognized by the Catholic Church.
    Thanks. We just celebrated 13 years and I and DH don't really see any reason to have our marriage convalidated (thanks for the correct wording). We considered it at the time of marriage for his parents' sake, but I've no desire to convert and MIL doesn't seem to hold that or the lack of convalidation against us (she introduces me as his wife, seems to genuinely like me, etc.) DH certainly considers us married, so it's a non-issue for us, but I appreciate your comments.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    This is true when both spouses are non-Catholic. Catholics are obligated to either marry in the Catholic Church OR have the marriage convalidated ("blessed") by a priest OR get a dispensation from these rules. The PP indicated that her husband is Catholic, therefore these rules apply to their marriage.
    I am Catholic and when we were attending a Catholic church, they indicated that an additional blessing was optional, not obligatory, for us. Perhaps I was given incorrect guidance on this issue, but they gave that to me verbally and in writing (they had a church (not parish) pamphlet on it. This is different than when my parents married- my mom needed an annulment even though she had not been married in the Catholic church or been Catholic before her conversion that year but my cradle Catholic dad did not need an annulment since his 1st marriage was not recognized by the church at all since it was outside the church.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5