Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
If you don't need 'em, sure, pitch 'em.

But I'm not willing to say that all clothes from a smoker's home need to be burned and never again used. I buy most of DD's clothes second-hand, sometimes online, sometimes from shops. That means giving up a certain measure of control.... I honestly can't say that the original owners were non-smokers. I presume that any used clothes were washed before being sold, and of course I wash before putting them on DD. From a frugality perspective and a "green" perspective I do think buying used, particularly for infants / toddlers, makes a whole lot of sense. I don't like the idea that keeping DD safe and sound = only buy new (certainly MIC & freight-shipped to the US) garments. But that does means giving up the certainty that the clothes I buy were never ever exposed to cigarettes.
I also buy used clothes. If on eBay only from nonsmoking homes and if from a thrift store I smell the items. I have found at our thrift stores I don't smell any smoke - I wonder if they use some type of institutional cleaners that strips it away. And, as another pp mentioned, if from a garage sale, you can tell if they smoke or not, I usually just walk away.