Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    If you don't need 'em, sure, pitch 'em.

But I'm not willing to say that all clothes from a smoker's home need to be burned and never again used. I buy most of DD's clothes second-hand, sometimes online, sometimes from shops. That means giving up a certain measure of control.... I honestly can't say that the original owners were non-smokers. I presume that any used clothes were washed before being sold, and of course I wash before putting them on DD. From a frugality perspective and a "green" perspective I do think buying used, particularly for infants / toddlers, makes a whole lot of sense. I don't like the idea that keeping DD safe and sound = only buy new (certainly MIC & freight-shipped to the US) garments. But that does means giving up the certainty that the clothes I buy were never ever exposed to cigarettes.
    I also buy used clothes. If on eBay only from nonsmoking homes and if from a thrift store I smell the items. I have found at our thrift stores I don't smell any smoke - I wonder if they use some type of institutional cleaners that strips it away. And, as another pp mentioned, if from a garage sale, you can tell if they smoke or not, I usually just walk away.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

MNmomtobe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I personally wouldn't use them. I was careful to avoid smoky places while I was pregnant and it doesn't make sense to expose babies to chemicals at such a young age. Plus I suffer from severe migraines and am extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke and perfume/cologne.
    Like pp mentioned about ebay, I do on occasion buy clothes off of ebay. I always buy from auctions that state "from non-smoking home".
    I also buy clothes from consignment sales. Of course if there is a smoky smell to the clothes I wouldn't buy them. However regardless of any odor or lack of odor to clothes from consigment, I wash them in hot water before DD wears them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3