Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default S/O IKEA thread: how does shopping there work?

I know IKEAs are pretty much self-serve, but how does it work for those larger furniture pieces? Is there anyone available to help you get a big piece to your car? Will I have more luck if I can arrange to go on a weekday?

I think I want an Expedit (not even the biggest, but the 2x4 one) but DH will hate the whole IKEA experience so I have to go it alone. I might be able to get my mom to come with me, but she's a 5' tall weakling too.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The Expedits IIRC are flat packed and self serve, you don't have to go to furniture pick up for it. I have never needed help loading so I don't know if they will or not, however I have never seen an IKEA employee loading a car unless it was from the larger furniture pick up area. Things come in several boxes, I can usually manage them on my own even if they are large.

You can pay for delivery. My car was too small for a bed and two dressers so I paid them a small fee and they delivered it the next day.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You can totally do the 2x4 expedit with you and your mom. You could probably just do it solo too. Like Katie said, it comes flat. I have had a bunch of ikea pieces through the years and I have yet to get anything that is not packed flat. My guess is that the couches have to be delivered (I have never bought a couch there) but most everything is in flat boxes.
    DD
    DS

You can do a stock-check for your store @ ikea.com. If an item is not available, they sometimes give an estimate of when it will be in. I would definitely check before you go; last time we went was around this time of year (back to college) and they were sold out of what we wanted.
    -Sara

DD- Veronica, 6/26/06 future astronaut/ princess
    DS- Oliver, 5/1/09 looking spiffy in his DOCband

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's flat packed. For some things, they are self-serve (the 2x4 EXPEDIT should be one of them), whereas somethings require that you order it a kiosk upstairs and then wait for it at a pick-up counter. They will help you load things into your car, but it's more ad hoc - you have to ask one of the people standing out in the loading area.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just wanted to add to what pp have said that you can ask for help from a desk at the self serve area and they will help you put the box in your cart for you. It is a real help as sometimes the boxes can be quite heavy.

Jessica.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    You can pay for delivery. My car was too small for a bed and two dressers so I paid them a small fee and they delivered it the next day.
    Oh, I forgot to say that I live much to far away for the regular delivery-- I'd be hit with those crazy delivery charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica's Mommy View Post
    You can do a stock-check ...I would definitely check before you go; last time we went was around this time of year (back to college) and they were sold out of what we wanted.
    Yes, I knew this, but I forgot about back-to-school. Thanks! Because the IKEA is so far I am definitely planning this trip. I've got a good list going from the several must-have threads. (I almost wish we didn't have these threads... there's so much I want I think I need to rent a van!)

Quote Originally Posted by jess_g View Post
    Just wanted to add to what pp have said that you can ask for help from a desk at the self serve area and they will help you put the box in your cart for you. It is a real help as sometimes the boxes can be quite heavy.
    Thanks. Glad to hear others have been able to ask for help. I know IKEA stuff is flat-packed but in general that stuff can be quite heavy.

For those who have bought the 2x4 Expedit, is the box pretty compact? If I don't rent a van I will need to fit it in my Prius.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post

For those who have bought the 2x4 Expedit, is the box pretty compact? If I don't rent a van I will need to fit it in my Prius.
    We brought ours home in my dad's minivan. I think it would have fit in the trunk/cabin passthrough in our Camry but we were getting a 5 x 5 at the same time and that was NOT going to fit in a sedan. The 2 x 4 is about 5 feet long so you would need to be able to get a 5 foot+ long box in the Prius, which is going tobe more than a foot wide. Maybe without a passenger that would work?
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If this is what you're looking at getting, the dimensions and weight are on the page (there's a package dimensions and weight link at the bottom):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086

Width:16 1/8"
    Height:8 1/4"
    Length:58 5/8"
    Weight:71lb
    DS1 - Oct. '09

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can always find people to help at my IKEA. It does help having an obviously pregnant belly, though.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast