13 10.83%
  • My spouse does it!

51 42.50%
  • We have a service that we pay.

41 34.17%
  • Obligatory other (Please explain)

8 6.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I choose other- our neighborhood dues cover the front yard --mowed every week, weeding in beds, new mulch and bush/tree trimming once a season and they will plant flowers if you buy them and put them outside.

They will also mow our back yard for $10 a week and we did that when DH traveled Monday-Thursday thinking he would rather be with us than deal with the lawn. (but don't get me started on how they ran over our pumpkin vines twice).

Now he mows and trims the back... but I handle the two back yard flower beds and the two backyard garden beds. DH wants me to make even more of the yard into garden beds--- and I tease him it's so he has less to mow.
    Mom to Arwen (1/06), and two geriatric chihuahuas

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We pay a service and have used them for the last 2 years. Our lot is oversized, has several slants and there are a lot of curves in the lanscaping. It's also a corner house, so there is a fair amount of parkway area. So, when DH would just mow, it would take him 3ish hours to get it done. I can't mow because my allergies to grass are so bad. The service that we use charges very little (I'm always waiting for them to increase), does a great job, and finishes in about 20 minutes. Worth every penny!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I choose other- our neighborhood dues cover the front yard --mowed every week, weeding in beds, new mulch and bush/tree trimming once a season and they will plant flowers if you buy them and put them outside.
    Oh gosh, as much as the idea of a HOA chafes (they're rare here in New England anyway) I'd LOVE that.

I voted "My spouse does it" but should have put other. He gets it more than 1/2 the time but I've done it plenty of times too. I will say it is the one tasks I have around the house where I do sometimes feel like the neighbors are looking at me funny.

DH always says he wants a Japanese style rock-and-moss garden instead of an expanse of grass. Now that we have DD that idea is less attractive. But we both get no pleasure from doing kind of lawn care and we aren't good about keeeping up with it.

Now to talk mowers....

we have a regular self-propelled one.

In my parents' neighborhood everyone has a tractor-style riding mower, no matter how small the yard. It cracks me up. Takes more time to pull it out of the shed than to mow with it.

The lawn service guys (most of the neighbors have yard services) have these really nifty ones that they ride on while standing up. Kind of like a Segwey, but a mower. NEAT!!!!!!!

Also, I do have one friend with the Roomba mower. It is hilarious to watch, very slow to actually cover the whole ground, but in theory I love it!!
    Last edited by wellyes; 08-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

It was both of us but for now it is my DH. The vibrations don't help my back pain. I love mowing and smelling cut grass. I can also zone out when I mow.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH does it about 50%. My dad also does it. I have done it. My parents live downstairs -- in a 2 family.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh mows the lawn and does yard maintenance including trimming the shrubs. DD and I usually take care of the watering and planting flowers.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

DH does it always. I'm very allergic to grass and he likes to do it. We have a push reel mower BTW and love it. I so preer the sound of its whirly noise to all the noisey power mowers in the neighborhood. Plus the kids can be out with him while he mows. We are talking about getting a lawn service to fertalize it though, we have so many weeds.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by katydid1971 View Post
    DH does it always. I'm very allergic to grass and he likes to do it. We have a push reel mower BTW and love it. I so preer the sound of its whirly noise to all the noisey power mowers in the neighborhood. Plus the kids can be out with him while he mows. We are talking about getting a lawn service to fertalize it though, we have so many weeds.
    Have you tested your soil? Rather than fertilize you might want to see how your soil is balanced and see if things can be added to it to specifically help your lawn grow better.

Beth

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We put in synthetic turf. Much better than anything that grows in the desert and no upkeep whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Have you tested your soil? Rather than fertilize you might want to see how your soil is balanced and see if things can be added to it to specifically help your lawn grow better.

Beth
    Beth,
    How would we get it tested? What kind of company does that and how much does it cost? What do they put on the lawn and why is that different than fertilizer? I have never heard of that before.
    BTW, DD's name is Beth
    OP sorry for the highjack.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast