niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default [email protected] do I need to know

Our back gate had some wood rot, so I was digging it out to then fill and I find what I think are termites. I'm pretty sure they are - I caught one in a container and it looks like pics on the web.

I've called our pest control service to schedule a termite inspection. We haven't had a termite inspection since we moved into the house 4 years ago.

What do I need to know, so I can be informed?

We did have wood windows stripped back and painted in January, and the painter only find small spots of wood rot...again, that doesn't mean termites aren't under the house..

Not what I wanted to find.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a termite scare a few years back and did some research (the specifics of which I don't remember now, of course) but I do recall that the state agricultural extension service had great, and, IMO, unbiased information about termites & termite control. One thing I do remember now, though they can be terribly destructive, on balance termites move pretty slowly (at least the ones back east do, the bugs in CA may be a different species). So no need to fall prey to any high pressure, "do it now!!" sales tactics from pest control services. You've got a bit of time.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Thanks Mary-Helen. I read some extension web sites, and they said the same thing. Take some time to get some quotes and decide what to do.

The gate is not attached to the house, it's a gate in a cinder block wall. Maybe I can hope that it's localized...fingers crossed.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I should have known a former law librarian would have been all over those extension sites!

My fingers are crossed for you, too. My situation was resolved when my neighbor had his home/yard treated, and the house adjacent to him (which was the source of the problem) was gutted and renovated. Here's hoping for a similarly painless resolution for you.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3 View Post
    I should have known a former law librarian would have been all over those extension sites!
    I post here first for personal experience. Then I google. I like the university extension web pages for information - simple enough for me to understand a subject area I know nothing about, but detailed enough to tell me what I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3 View Post
    My fingers are crossed for you, too.
    Me too. I started to panic when I found them. But knowing that I can take a little time to get a few inspections and quotes, helps. Of course I'm worried about the cost if there is much damage - but we've been building up a savings fund for things like this. So, I'm actually not stressing too much...very unlike me.