Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default No H1N1 shot = limiting children's activities? Yes or No?

If you are not planning to get H1N1 shot, will you limit your children's activities (lessons, preschool, school, other) - keep them home more.. BECAUSE they aren't getting the shot?

I was going to sign up my son for some classes for the fall/winter.. and then someone brought up this concern.. and I hadn't even thought about it..

I think I am leaning towards signing him up anyway.. I don't think I want to be a shut-in for the entire flu season and I'm not sure I could be, anyway.

What about you?

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Like you I am torn. DD is in K and will still be going to school obviously. I may keep DS out of gymnastics classes, birthday parties, etc., for a month or two depending on how flu season plays out. I am about 80% sure we will not be doing the H1N1 vax, but DD & DH usually get the regular flu vax. DS and I don't because of allergy issues.
    Laurel

We homeschool and aren't in a ton of activities anyway. I don't plan to change our routine.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No, I don't plan to change anything. H1N1 is already hitting universities in my state and there have been no cases that have been any more severe than the yearly flu. I don't know if we are going to vaccinate or not, but unless there is an outbreak of really severe cases (ie. the strain has mutated to a much more serious/resistant virus), we don't plan on changing our regular activities.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

nope. We plan to attend all Logans football games , play groups and I may sign Jack up for mom&me swim class.
    No we will not be getting the standard or the H1N1 vaccines.

Now I am keeping Nathan home the day the give the "free" flu mist to everyone who wants it in K-5. IF they were giving the shots I would send him.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No. I can't shield him from every germ scenario. It'd pretty much mean being shut ins if we wanted to avoid germy places. No trips to the library, no grocery trips, no museums...

Beth

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I tend to limit things a bit in the winter anyway, just because of the weather and, yes, the flu. DS will be in full-day K and, over winter, one sport night/week. I think that's enough activity for a kid in K. DD goes to an MDO program which I *know* will be a hotspot for every disease out there (I blame parents for sending sick kids more than I do the people who run the MDO). I also want to get her into some kid of other activity once/week. Other than that, I do try and limit our mall exposure (crowded and icky), fast food places, etc because those are the places that people take their sick kids when they get cabin fever and I always seem to be the one that gets sick! We will be extra-vigilant about handwashing, too.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are currently leaning toward not receiving the H1N1 vax, but could be swayed depending on how severe the strain is, trial results and the extent of outbreaks locally. We already have heard reports of severe cases locally so I am concerned especially considering that DS and DD1 have asthma. For DS and DD1 we are not making any changes in extracurriculars (dance, swimming, soccer) because they are with the same kids that they attend school with anyway. For DD2 (14 months), I am being more cautious. I have yet to take her to a gym child care or use our Gymboree gift certificate. With all of our struggles her first year with her reflux/immature GI tract, I really want to do what I can to keep her healthy. She is still at an age where she wants to put EVERYTHING in her mouth. Of course DS and DD1 are bound to bring home illnesses and already have since school started.

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, it's not specifically related to H1N1, but ever since Lachlann came down with a bad case of pneumonia New Year's Eve when he was 16 months old, we do limit our winter activities. From experience, I know that the storytime at Borders that we like to go to *always* makes my kids sick starting in November. The library doesn't. We do things outside as much as possible.

We homeschool and my kids aren't into classes, so that helps for us. Our homeschool group has a lot of activities in the winter, and all the moms are excellent about keeping their kids home if there's a chance they might be contagious. So, we get out on field trips and visit other people's houses, as well as have people over our house.

Since we have such a great group, we never experience any major cabin-fever, yet we usually only get 2-3 colds a winter (compared to the almost endless colds we used to get).

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We won't be getting the vaccine and I definitely won't be limiting activities. We will be increasing Vit D and washing our hands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast