Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not limiting DS or DD activities. Getting the H1N1 though as DS is in OT 2x a week and I have no idea how well they "clean" the equipment etc...
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not limiting activities -- DD#1 starts K in 1.5 weeks and is in before/after school care. DD#2 is in FT daycare. So, really, limiting other activities is pointless as they will both have lots of exposure just in their regular daily activities.

DD#2 will not be getting the vax unless there is a non-adjuvant version offered here -- and I believe what the gov't says. As it stands, the Canadian gov't is following the WHO request and using "vaccine sparing" production methods. I'm curious as to how the US is getting around that, given that all of the vaccine manufacturers have said that they HAVE to use adjuvants because the yields are so low. Something is not adding up there. So, even if I lived in the US, I wouldn't actually believe that the US version didn't contain adjuvants. Adjuvants are my huge huge issue with this vax (though I have other issues too) because DD#2 is anaphylactic to fish and squalene is (mainly) from sharks livers.

DD#1 and I are both high risk (asthma) and I am very torn. We will likely NOT get the vax because I believe that all three of us had H1N1 earlier this summer (fever, aches, runny nose, sore throat, cough, generally feeling crappy for a few days -- ILI as the WHO is calling it).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Nope, not planning on the vaccine. Sending DS to preschool 3 days per week, and possibly sending DD (age 1+) to preschool one day weekly. I am not concerned. I trust in the medical care we have available to us here (in the US).

We don't vax so far, and plan on selective shots in the future. My kids are probably the healthiest kids I know (probiotics, limited exposure, and natural immunity to what we do come in contact with).

Default Limiting Activities? H1N1

Folks
    I make my living preparing for disasters, pandemics, epidemics, etc. If I had a choice, I would rather get the H1N1 flu than the seasonal flu.

The H1N1 flu has killed almost 200 people WORLDWIDE. The seasonal flu kills 300,000 PEOPLE A YEAR IN THE US.

The dangers associated with the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines far outweigh the benefits. Take this from a mommy and a professional that deals with these things everyday.

These flu shots are bad news. They contain mercury and squaline. Google both of these if you want more information on both of these additives.

I am also the mommy to two beautiful boys. One who is typical in every way and one who was typical in every way until he was 13 months old. Now he is severely autistic, suffers from severe gastroentistinal issues, and is non-verbal.

Watch the special tonight on MSNBC on Thoughtful House. We take our son there.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate For Truth View Post
    Folks
    I make my living preparing for disasters, pandemics, epidemics, etc. If I had a choice, I would rather get the H1N1 flu than the seasonal flu.

The H1N1 flu has killed almost 200 people WORLDWIDE. The seasonal flu kills 300,000 PEOPLE A YEAR IN THE US.

The dangers associated with the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines far outweigh the benefits. Take this from a mommy and a professional that deals with these things everyday.

These flu shots are bad news. They contain mercury and squaline. Google both of these if you want more information on both of these additives.

I am also the mommy to two beautiful boys. One who is typical in every way and one who was typical in every way until he was 13 months old. Now he is severely autistic, suffers from severe gastroentistinal issues, and is non-verbal.

Watch the special tonight on MSNBC on Thoughtful House. We take our son there.
    Im pretty much a no flu shot kinda momma ( so are the 3 nurses in my family) but your numbers are off on flu deaths. I believe its more like 36,000/yr ( and most of those have underlying health issues anyway)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons View Post
    We won't be getting the vaccine and I definitely won't be limiting activities. We will be increasing Vit D and washing our hands.
    That's basically what we plan to do too.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate For Truth View Post
    FYI: There is a mercury-free version that will be allocated to pregnant women and children.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure that my kids already had the swine flu this summer and it really wasn't a big deal at all for them. We didn't confirm that it was the swine flu, but it was supposedly the only flu in major circulation in the summer and it was definitely the FLU, not a cold. The worst of it lasted 36 hours. If they hadn't had it, I would not curtail their activities because I would want them to get it. I know that I am in the minority with this, but I want my kids to have what their grandparents have-- immunity to the swine flu! Why would I want to deprive my kids of the probable immunity that their grandparents have?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

JBaxter is right, you are way off. Waaaaay off. More than 250,000 flu deaths off.

I don't get flu vaccines either but I think it's very important for us to focus on the potential dangers of a pandemic & work towards encouraging preventative measures than anything else.

As far as the OP's question, I honestly don't know. Will I not take DD to shopping centers or grocery stores? No, that's just not realistic for our life. But I'll definitely be more cautious in terms of keeping an eye for resperatory symptoms if DD gets a flu. And be more likely to keep her home (I know I always *should* but usually I'm not as vigilant as I should be since I know that kids are most contagious BEFORE they show symptoms). And of course LOTS of hand washing.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Hi I am the OP

Just to clarify, I personally am specifically debating signing up DS (21 mo) for extracurricular type non-essential classes - think little gym, gymboree, kindermusik, etc - would you NOT enroll for fall/winter based on H1N1.. if not vaxing for it..

that's where I was going with this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast