Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Toy for 2 yr. old girl?

DS and his friend N share a b-day, and we're going to all get together soon to celebrate since we were all away on vacation on the actual date. I'd like to get something in the $20-$30 range. Originally, I was not super into gender specific toys, but we have somehow found ourselves lately in the world of trucks, trains, and such with DS...and I've realized that N seems to be a bit of a girly girl (recalling her toys and a distinct preference for lavendar and pink). Should I go with a Corolle doll or something? Any other suggestions? I'd rather not do books only because she has lots and I wouldn't want to duplicate; with clothes, I don't think I'd be able to guess the size accurately. What are your faves for an extremely verbal, girly, 2yr. old girl? TIA!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like the idea of Calin or Tidoo. Other ideas are a doll stroller or shopping cart or Melissa & Doug cutting food or Slice and Bake Cookies. There have been a couple threads about this I will look for them....

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    What are your faves for an extremely verbal, girly, 2yr. old girl? TIA!
    Since you've just described "Little Miss Tiny" I thought I'd speak up. She LOVES her Calin and plays with her daily, so that is a great gift. But she may have dolls already-- in which case some doll accessories (stroller, feeding accessories) might be nice. Another favorite is her small dollhouse (we have the Fisher Price Busy Day Home).

She loves her play kitchen, and the Melissa and Doug cutting food set was a great hit for her 2y/o birthday.

A recent surprise hit were playsilks-- I was worried this would be another one of my 'crunchy mom' gifts that sounded good but fell flat, but I was pleasantly surprised that they do get a lot of play. And I didn't even have to show her that they were 'pretend' this or that-- she figured it out on her own. I bought mine off Etsy.

Oh, and maybe play jewelry? I have to admit, this is the sort of thing I avoid getting because it is too girly for my taste (we have a very few); but DD loves this stuff and when we visit her cousin she goes gaga borrowing all her toy necklaces and bracelets.

And finally, she does love books. You can never really have too many books. But it's hard to give some without giving duplicates.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks, guys! I'll look check all that out - it's very helpful
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Playsilks, play purse, dress up clothes, baby dolls are all things DD liked last year a lot.
    Kris

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Corolle doll:

This one is very cute IRL: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/toys/L...6235-item.html

If you can up your budget:

$32.95: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/toys/C...2619-item.html -- has hair

$36.95: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/toys/C...5014-item.html -- no hair

A variety of Calin's from Mastermind Toys: http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/...EW7RJJX0CKBHF7

Mastermind has better descriptions than Chapters re hair/no hair/color, eye color, clothing. Chapters has free shipping. I can't remember Mastermind's shipping policies.

GL!

ETA: If your friend is OK with it, my 2yo loves Barbies and princess dolls. They are widely available at Superstore (Loblaws?), Walmart and (more expensively) TRU. Of course, Target has them too if you will be in the US before your party.... I've also seen Calin's at local Chapters IRL and also at independent toy retailers.
    Last edited by bubbaray; 08-29-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Somehow I've found myself w/ a girlie-girl too. Her faves have been her Corelle Calin and Tidoo babies and the various accessories. Her kitchen and accessories, especially the Learning Resources play food (these get much more play than the M&D stuff). Her dollhouse gets limited play bc we don't have anywhere to put it. Also dress up stuff is big here. And the Piggy Paint nail polish for her toes is very popular!! I wasn't too keen on it initially, but it is fun. And games like Hi-Ho Cherry-O and Animal Scramble - although they aren't girlie.
    mommy to DD 1/07

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about a tea party set. There is a great one made from recycled milk jugs that is sold at tru. I have also seen it on Amazon. DD got it for her birthday and LOVES it.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    What about a tea party set. There is a great one made from recycled milk jugs that is sold at tru. I have also seen it on Amazon. DD got it for her birthday and LOVES it.

Its the one made by Green Toys. Chapters usually sells it and the tea set in store. Here are their other toys: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/toys/G...67151-cat.html
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast