Default question for Amazon savvy shoppers

I'd like to buy this magazine/storage rack on amazon, but am confused by the fact that there are three different prices for what appears to be the identical product on their website.

Price $40 http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Mounted-M...ductPromotions
    Price $31 http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Mounted-M...ref=pd_sbs_k_1
    Price $28 http://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Wood-M...1607336&sr=8-2

Two of them (the $40 and $31 prices) are both listed as being sold or made by HFD. So why the different prices?

If I order the cheapest price - the $28 price - is it the same product s the others? It certainly appears to be. Target.com sells it too under the name Linnea and it is over $50.

I know amazon is sometimes just a middleman for other merchants - is that the case here?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

HFD is most likely the manufacturer. And yes, it seems like it is different merchants selling at different prices.
    Amazon is tricky!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

You hit it on the nose. Amazon is the middleman, so different distributors have different prices. When comparing same items like this, make sure to compare shipping costs too. In this case, the least expensive item will also end up with the lowest total (including shipping) but often that's not the case.

Good shopping - looks like you found a deal!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I might disagree. One of the first two is sold by Visiondecor Furniture. If you look at other sellers on the other one, you also see them listed. If you look at the Visiondecor store, you see two of them listed.

Unfortunately, Amazon allows sellers to change pictures and descriptions. It may be that these are different items and a merchant seller changed the photo and title of one of them, rather than listing on the existing listing.

It may be the same thing, but I'd probably contact Visiondecor, since they're on all the listings, as ask if there is a difference to be sure.

When you pick which, check shipping, but also feedback. I'd go with someone over 85% and if they're under 95% or so, I'd read the feedback to see if it's their fault or the customer (some customers leave feedback about the product for the seller, rather than for the seller).
    Kris

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Amazon is a whole lot more confusing than it used to be, now that any merchant can post a product there, sometimes in direct competition with Amazon's own sales.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5