kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default The non-kids kids music thread

So much of the music that is geared for kids is either super commercial with lots of tie ins (Hannah Montana) and geared more for girls or is aimed at babies/toddlers. What music does your child enjoy that you can enjoy/tolerate as well. I must admit that T has grown up listening mainly to our music (which is a diverse set of stuff...literally everything from Plastilina Mosh to Wagner to Ted Leo to the Indigo Girls to Public Enemy to The Beach Boys) but there have been some music that is geared to kids that we have been able to enjoy as a family:

-They Might be Giants (Here come the ABCs; Bed, Bed, Bed)
    -Barenaked Ladies (Snack Time)
    -Central Services Presents The Board of Education
    -The Not Its
    -Caspar Babypants, which T thinks is a total riot. Caspar Babypants is Chris Ballew of the Presidents of the United States of America.

Any other kids music that is genuinely fun for the whole family? I must admit to wanting to rip my own ears off if I hear Elmo sing.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

The Dragonfly Races by Ellis Paul
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our boys also pretty much listen to whatever we're listening to - anything from the Evita soundtrack to Feist to The National. Off the top of my head, they've expressed interest in The Beatles, Fatboy Slim (Praise You, Rockafella Skank), The Pixies, Weezer, and They Might Be Giants. DS1 also likes "rock band" music which is apparently classic rock. I let DH deal with that!

Katie - I smiled when I saw you list Ted Leo. I heart Ted. My husband knew him in high school (he was friends with DH's older sister) and we both knew him in college. We often saw him play in college and in Washington DC in his band Chisel. I'm so pleased that he has stuck with music and that he's actually making a living off of it. It's truly his passion. He's a brilliant guy, and he could have easily gone the route of most of his friends and given it up for Wall St or law school.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

How about Jack Johnson? All of his music is pretty kid friendly - he also has the Curious George movie soundtrack. I don't mind listening to Jesse McCartney either and his target audience is probably tweens.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We love all of the Putumayo Kids cds (all that we have heard). Our faves are Animal Playground and African Playground. Jazz for Kids is also fun. There are many others to choose from.

We also found a Trout Fishing in America kids' cd for .50 at the library. It is maybe a little old for my kids, but they really like it (sort of like the TMBG humor). I keep meaning to look for others.

We also like TMBG "No!" which I didn't see on your list.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We've seen Justin Roberts locally in concert a few times and I don't mind (most) of his music. eta: we like TMBG, etc. too.

Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09