Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you "recharge", mommy burnout

Just curious -

When you have had a hard day/week/month/2 years...

How do you "recharge your batteries"?

I used to just go out for some retail therapy.. but lately, I'm kind of ambivalent about it.

Where do you go? What do you do? When you have a "break".. childcare.. DH has DCs..

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have a local museum that I love, the Decordova. No famous paintings, instead it has really interesting exhibits brought in from all over. An afternoon walking around, experiencing stuff I'd never see normally is glorious. I love the solitude of it, being inside my own head. If it's nice out, they have really lovely grounds (a sculputre park) to walk around; if it's cold or rainy, I bring a book or interesting magazine article & sit in the cafe to read and sip coffee for an hour or two.

An afternoon there and I feel like a functional adult capable of having an interesting conversation that isn't about kids. I love it, and don't go nearly often enough.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love the museum idea. I go out to lunch with friends, or I get a massage. Working out is also a way to do something good for yourself. A great and absorbing book (or even a trashy magazine, if you're in the mood) is great too.

I hear you about retail therapy - that used to be me, too, except now I'm not that into it either.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I like to go out to dinner and drinks with some of my friends. That's my favorite way to unwind. I also really like my tap class and some other exercise classes.

There have a been a few times since ds1 was born that I really reached my limit and have gone away for the weekend alone.

Oh, and I love kicking everyone out of the house and enjoying the peace and quiet! Even better if the house is clean and I have a good book or movie.

Beth

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I go out with a close friend for drinks, dinner...whatever. I have a friend who lives a couple of hours away and visiting her for a weekend is so good for my mental health.

Spa trip. A facial or a massage then a nice lunch is so relaxing. DH is great, he'll see I need some time off and he'll come home with a gift certificate. I feel so much better about myself and my life after a spa trip.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I recharge as often as possible.

Exercise.

Reading a book that has nothing to do with parenting or parents.

Going out with my husband.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH and I go out. I nap, get my toes painted, shower (odd I know), go out with a girlfriend.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If there's a MNO in my moms group, I'll do my best to make it.

I joined the handbell choir and church, and volunteer to play for services and/or accompany the choir when the director needs a pianist.

I do the grocery shopping on weekend afternoons alone. Well, right now I take Laurel, but once she is consistently napping in the afternoons I'll leave her at home with Dh as well.

Read, read, read.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I shove my kindle into my knitting bag, possibly grab my laptop and hit the coffeeshop. Then I read, knit and work on digital scrapbooking as I see fit. Maybe grab lunch and hit a fabric/yarn store. Another possibilty it locking myself in my "sewing room" and sew stuff for the girls.

I'm in school so I have babysitter on the days the husband works. Sometimes I swap "me" time for "studying" time. On the days the husband is home, I just throw my hands up and leave.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast