Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Anything where I can hear my own thoughts. That's the hardest part for me, with a SAHM life. I often feel like I can't have my own thoughts, my own internal dialogue for lack of a better description. And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me.

I stay up late...I like the peace at night. My kids sleep in so it works out I will read a magazine out on the deck while the kids play outside together and are entertaining one another. Magazine and a cup of coffee or tea is always nice and doable in 15 minute bursts sometimes when my kids are playing.

When I need a more extensive break, a coffee shop outing, hanging out at B&N, the occasional date night w/ DH are all helpful. And crafting while DH has the kids since I can't deal w/ crafting (my own stuff) with kids around if it is anything that requires focus or attention.

eta: I get my hair cut every 5 weeks and I often arrive 15 mins early so I can chill and read a magazine for a bit to stretch my peace and quiet a little longer LOL. Whenever they apologize for running late I tell them it is blissful chilling out and reading a magazine in peace, so I really don't mind

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me.
    I just had to say that one of my major "A-HA" moments as a parent was when I took the Meyers-Briggs a couple of years ago. I had already taken it many years ago and knew I was an introvert but when I took it as a stay-at-home parent, I realized "That's why I am D.O.N.E. at the end of the day!"

OP -
    I do choral groups/community theater. I used to like to go to B&N (now the closest one is an hour away). I find it much harder to recharge in my house - always way too cluttered and projects calling out to me.

I've been feeling very burned-out lately and am due for a weekend away. That's the only way that I have ever felt super refreshed. (and since moving and not knowing too many people, i long for time away from children and with a good friend.)

marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

[QUOTE=brittone2;2462326]Anything where I can hear my own thoughts. That's the hardest part for me, with a SAHM life. I often feel like I can't have my own thoughts, my own internal dialogue for lack of a better description. And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me. QUOTE]

OMG. This is exactly me. And I have 3 girls who are constantly talking....at the same time....to me....about 3 different things. All I want is to be alone with my own thoughts!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

[quote=pinkmomagain;2462426]
    Anything where I can hear my own thoughts. That's the hardest part for me, with a SAHM life. I often feel like I can't have my own thoughts, my own internal dialogue for lack of a better description. And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me. QUOTE]

OMG. This is exactly me. And I have 3 girls who are constantly talking....at the same time....to me....about 3 different things. All I want is to be alone with my own thoughts!
    It is hard, isn't it?? Mine talk non stop as well, and since they are both with me all day (we homeschool), it can be a LOT of stimulation for me to handle LOL.

I'm better now that I realize not hearing my own thoughts can be a trigger for me. I have to find ways to make that happen.

I'm better now that I realize not hearing my own thoughts can be a trigger for me. I have to find ways to make that happen.
    Hmmm...maybe this is why I talk out loud TO myself a lot more now that I have DD. I was vacuuming today and found myself talking away. I just thought it was old age!

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid View Post
    Hmmm...maybe this is why I talk out loud TO myself a lot more now that I have DD. I was vacuuming today and found myself talking away. I just thought it was old age!
    LOL

I was wondering how it would sound if I discussed hearing my own thoughts...I figured everyone here would assume I was hearing voices I'm glad most of you get what I mean

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    I just had to say that one of my major "A-HA" moments as a parent was when I took the Meyers-Briggs a couple of years ago. I had already taken it many years ago and knew I was an introvert but when I took it as a stay-at-home parent, I realized "That's why I am D.O.N.E. at the end of the day!"
    My huge A-Ha moment was when I read "Your Spirited Child" and realized I wasn't really the extrovert that I thought I was. I'm actually a social introvert. I do enjoy being around people but I definitely need that "alone" time to recharge.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Exercise does it for me; I can't beat endorphins for changing my mood!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

I enjoy lunch with gfs, getting a pedicure, going to a bookstore to read, even taking a nap is helpful!
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2