gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Quick help.... how long can I still use this chicken...

I bought 2 whole chickens last Monday. I've kept them refrigerated the whole time and the expiration date says "use before 8/30." However, the package also says, "use within 48 hours of purchase." Ooops. Would you still use them? I'd really like to do a roast in the oven. It will take 90 minutes to cook (I"m getting a very late start. May have to eat the roast tomorrow and have leftover turkey burgers today. )
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'd open them both up and give them the 'smell test'. If they do not smell spoiled, pop 'em into the oven right away! Even if you can't eat them for dinner tonight, you can shred all the meat for salads, enchiladas, casserole (chicken tettrazini -- yum!), etc. Or freeze for later use. You're not the first one whose expiration date snuck up faster than you planned. :-)

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    I'd open them both up and give them the 'smell test'. If they do not smell spoiled, pop 'em into the oven right away! Even if you can't eat them for dinner tonight, you can shred all the meat for salads, enchiladas, casserole (chicken tettrazini -- yum!), etc. Or freeze for later use. You're not the first one whose expiration date snuck up faster than you planned. :-)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

twindad is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    I agree... the smell test has not failed me yet.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you, everyone who responded. That is exactly what I did. I opened them up and they smelled fine. Not even a hint of "uh-oh." So, I roasted them and ate some myself. If I'm still alive by tomorrow, we're having some yummy sandwiches!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Thank you, everyone who responded. That is exactly what I did. I opened them up and they smelled fine. Not even a hint of "uh-oh." So, I roasted them and ate some myself. If I'm still alive by tomorrow, we're having some yummy sandwiches!
    If we don't see you around the boards for a few days, we will know what happened!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeah, whole chickens fresh from the store should last in the fridge for more that 48 hours. I wonder if they smack that label on as an extra precaution or if it was just labelled incorrectly.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.