Default NJ- requiring h1n1 vax for preschool and daycare admission?!?

listen here:

http://www.oxysilver.com/mp3.html

i can't believe this. has anyone heard about this? i haven't listened to the wholE coast to coast episode (you can listen at the link above) but i am in process as we speak. i'll touch back after listening. i think that the site sells a product, but ignore that. bro told me about this show on recently. figured i'd give a listen.
    neeley

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about K and above? I live in NJ, already have my son registered for K (had to provide up to date vax, which at the time did not include H1N1). I'm really kind of nervous about this vax ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
    What about K and above? I live in NJ, already have my son registered for K (had to provide up to date vax, which at the time did not include H1N1). I'm really kind of nervous about this vax ...
    it spec. said preschool and daycare. not sure about grade school. i would call and ask. have you heard about this in the local papers?
    neeley

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ugh. Hadn't considered that. My ds2 is scheduled to start preschool next week and they just sent home vaccine info. They are now requiring that all kids have all vaccines up to date. I have been annoyed by that b/c my ped and I agreed on a schedule and he doesn't have everything yet (will within a few months). I am willing to comply with those but not H1N1. I'm not in NJ but I think I'll call tomorrow to be on the safe side.

My SIL brought up a good point that at my ds2's school they only adopted this vaccine policy at the end of July 2009 and I gave my deposit in May. Since I was unaware of this rule (they do not allow religious or philosophical exemptions) that I may be able to get my deposit refunded.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ugh. Hadn't considered that. My ds2 is scheduled to start preschool next week and they just sent home vaccine info. They are now requiring that all kids have all vaccines up to date. I have been annoyed by that b/c my ped and I agreed on a schedule and he doesn't have everything yet (will within a few months). I am willing to comply with those but not H1N1. I'm not in NJ but I think I'll call tomorrow to be on the safe side.

My SIL brought up a good point that at my ds2's school they only adopted this vaccine policy at the end of July 2009 and I gave my deposit in May. Since I was unaware of this rule (they do not allow religious or philosophical exemptions) that I may be able to get my deposit refunded.

Beth
    so frustrating. seems like you are vaccinating on a different sch. can't imagine that they would not allow this. you are not "NOT vaccinating" i mean, come on!!! you might want to ask and provide them the name of your physician. in our neck of the woods, most people use the same reputable office. i can't imagine them not accepting your ds based on vaccination schedule. but then again...
    neeley

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, private schools and programs (which nearly all daycares and preschools are) can set whatever vaccination rules they want for admission/attendance. For example, in my area most of the Catholic schools offer NO vaccine exemptions other than documented medical reason.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The vaccine won't be out until after school has started...

this is from the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccinati...ion_qa_pub.htm
    When is it expected that the novel H1N1 vaccine will be available? The novel H1N1 vaccine is expected to be available in the fall. More specific dates cannot be provided at this time as vaccine availability depends on several factors including manufacturing time and time needed to conduct clinical trials

The rough estimate I have heard for availability is Oct/Nov. So, I think they should start testing for it again. If you get the flu, and it is H1N1, then why would you need the vaccine? My guess is that a lot of kids (and adults) will have already had H1N1 by the time the vaccine is available.

How can they require a vaccine for admission when that vaccine will not even be available until a good month or more after school has started?

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

^^^ Good. One less thing to obsess and worry over. Thanks for the information!!