Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twindad is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Would you pay $30 for this class?

My wife is a SAHM and would like to come up with a way to make a little extra money. She is a former elementary school teacher and a great cook.

She's thinking of offering cooking classes for kids in our home. Rough plan: approx 8 kids, ages 4-7, 2 hours, cooking/baking incorporating math and science, Saturday mornings or Friday late afternoon/early evening.

Would you pay $25? $30? Any thoughts?

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

that screams liability to me.

Maybe should could offer it through your local park district instead.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Would parents attend? I took a cooking class with ds1 and really liked it. It was at a cooking school and was maybe $40 for the 2 of us. He was 5yo.

Probably goes without saying but there are probably a lot of logistical details for something like this, like getting good insurance and such. Up to date clearances if she will be doing this without parents present.

Beth

Besides all the other stuff, I would pay 10 -15 for an hour. Two hours is too long.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd pay that much but I wouldn't take a class out of someone's home unless I knew them, and if I knew them, I wouldn't expect to pay.

Be really careful about food handling laws. I know my MIL looked into selling honey (she raises bees) or GF cookies on a really small scale at the local natural food shop, but didn't because it is very difficult to legally make food in your home for others to buy or consume. No pets in the house, for starters, was the dealbreaker for her.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well first off, I would love to have DD(5) take a cooking class- so I think your wife has a good idea in general.

Two hours does seem on the long side for the younger kids.

Will parents be participating?

Like other's have mentioned I'd look into insurance/liability issues. I'd also look into commercial kitchen space rather than your home.

To answer your question, 30 seems a bit on the high side, but not out of the question. If you wanted me to be a repeat customer I'd lower the fee a bit- or split it into set class fee+ variable materials fee depending on what was being made on a given day.
    Last edited by Laurel; 08-30-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Laurel

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW the class I took with ds1 was 3 hours and he did great. It was a preschool class so it was ages 2-6yo. All but the littlest ones did fine with the amount of time so I think 2 hours would be fine.

Beth

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would not enroll my children in a cooking class in someone's home unless I saw proof of a business license/health license (and I'm surprised the health dept. would OK that sort of thing out of a home). I'd also want proof of a criminal record check for all occupants of the home.

2 hours is too long for a 4yo and that age range is too broad -- thats preschool to G2! I would at the very least get a commercial space and split it into 2 age groups, 4/5 and 6/7. The 4/5 lesson should be 45min, no longer.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with others that I'd be a little leary about going to someone's home, not to mention the liability.

What about the following choices-

A community center, where they have community ed classes-
    If you have access to it- what about a pre-school- for evening or weekend classes?
    A church kitchen?
    A group (such as Campfire or Girl scouts/boy scouts) where kids could come with parents

A school (preferably one that has a home ec type room)

I think advertising at the school where your DW worked, might be a great in for her- she could also test pilot her class with friends and former colleagues prior to rolling it out for the general public!

Good for her for tapping into a fun market!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In theory, I think it sounds like great fun. But in practice, in addition to the other concerns brought up, I think 8 kids in the average kitchen would be an absolute zoo.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast