Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think a parent/child class would be fun...then parents can take the practices back to their own home to implement.....

What about more of a "catering" type class.....she goes to the house/church/group and teaches in that person's environment...so a group of moms/kids could ask her to come to their house...she could go to a troup meeting....preschool......??

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Yeah, I like newg's idea!
    I would think you'd need a stainless steel, commercial grade kitchen, healthy/ safety training and updates and all that up the wazoo, and I'd want to be super careful with sharp utensils, oven, etc.
    And is there a kitchen you could work in that has counters at more of a kid height? I know that ours are tall, and with an island, and would be hard to maneuver around or have the kids see up high enough.
    I like the combined parent + kid idea, in another locale so you wouldn't have to worry about all the codes and logistics (as much).
    Have her contact community ed to try to run it through them.... I taught language 'summer camps' (9-noon, M-F per session), and they took care of getting all the parents & kids signed up, made copies for me, set up the location and dealt with no-shows, sick kids, etc. She'd make a little less than doing it on her own, but it might be worth it for the first year to try out the whole idea.
    Good luck!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Do you go to a community center or belong to a club? Maybe she could teach cooking there. Our parks and rec is always looking for new classes and teachers. The teachers that are successful do a fair bit of promoting, rather than just waiting for sign-ups from the brochure.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I wouldn't pay that much and would have the concerns many others have posted. Has she looked into doing tutoring? She could do it on her own or through the BOE (for kids who are home due to a variety of reasons) very easily. Just a thought~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

twindad is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Wow! Thanks for all of your great suggestions. She's going to look into doing it through the city for a parks and rec type of class. If that doesn't work out, maybe newg's idea might. FWIW she taught K-4 and has different ideas for the different age groups... the 4 year olds wouldn't be in the same class as the 7 year olds.

Thanks again!

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twindad View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all of your great suggestions. She's going to look into doing it through the city for a parks and rec type of class. If that doesn't work out, maybe newg's idea might. FWIW she taught K-4 and has different ideas for the different age groups... the 4 year olds wouldn't be in the same class as the 7 year olds.

Thanks again!
    I always wonder at why people don't like to have kids more than a year apart in the same class. Our homeschool co-op does academic activities, field trips, etc, and we have a wide range of ages, with no problem at all. I do science lessons at my house and often have 8-10 kids, ranging in age from 3-7, and it all works really well.

As a SAH, homeschooling mom, I get very frustrated with the lack of classes that my kids could take together, that I could attend (to help them out when needed). I would love to see more classes with a wider age-range.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If the OP's wife is going to have a class with that broad an age range, then the length of the class needs to be geared to the youngest age group. Because if you expect the average 4yo to behave appropriately around sharp kitchen utensils for two hours, IME you're dreamin'....

I can't speak for the PP, but that was the reason I suggested breaking it up. 45 minute class for 4yo would be perfect. I can see a 7yo being find with a 2 hour class. KWIM?
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Ah for the good old 70s! My mom used to teach cooking in our home for 4-H. I distinctly remember demonstrating why you should always wear oven mitts for the younger kids.

That being said, your wife may want to look at the Kids in the Kitchen website to see what kind of programs they do, just to get ballparks for ages, length of time, ideas for dishes, etc.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twindad View Post
    My wife is a SAHM and would like to come up with a way to make a little extra money. She is a former elementary school teacher and a great cook.

She's thinking of offering cooking classes for kids in our home. Rough plan: approx 8 kids, ages 4-7, 2 hours, cooking/baking incorporating math and science, Saturday mornings or Friday late afternoon/early evening.

Would you pay $25? $30? Any thoughts?
    She'd do better, IMO, to offer some kind of math or science-based workshop in your house on Saturday mornings -- my kids are *fried* by Friday afternoon, for about an hour. I'd pay $20 for a one-shot deal.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2