cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Homemade pesto? (and recipes to use it, too!)

I'm looking for a yummy recipe for homemade pesto, preferably one that I could make in a big batch and then freeze the leftovers. I only have a mini-size food processor, and a blender. Any favorite recipes that use pesto would also be much appreciated! We are overloaded with fresh basil, so it's time to take the bull by the horns. :-)

Many thanks,
    Chris

I LOVE this recipe from Ina Garten for Pasta Pesto and Peas. It's absolutely fabulous, and I have to make it every summer when basil is abundant.

ETA: Oops, I just noticed that you only have a mini food processor and blender. You could probably get away with trying to make the pesto in a blender, although I haven't tried it myself.

Ingredients

• 3/4 pound fusilli pasta
    • 3/4 pound bow tie pasta
    • 1/4 cup good olive oil
    • 1 1/2 cups pesto (packaged or see recipe below)
    • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
    • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 1 1/4 cups good mayonnaise
    • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
    • 1/3 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
    • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach, and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignoli, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

Pesto:

• 1/4 cup walnuts
    • 1/4 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
    • 3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
    • 5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 1/2 cups good olive oil
    • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Place the walnuts, pignoli, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Use right away or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.

Notes: Air is the enemy of pesto. For freezing, pack it in containers with a film of oil or plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out.

To clean basil, remove the leaves, swirl them in a bowl of water, and then spin them very dry in a salad spinner. Store them in a closed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. As long as the leaves are dry they will stay green for several days.

Yield: 4 cups
    Last edited by wencit; 09-02-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just do basil, parmesan cheese, oil, toasted pine nuts and garlic in a blender or food processor till it is the consistency we like. It keeps well and can be frozen too.

I like to use it on pasta (of course!), as a spread on sandwiches, in omelets and scrambled eggs, in stuffed mushrooms, with goat cheese on toast or in any form, in pizza, in baked eggs...I love me some pesto.

I got a good recipe from here recently that uses pesto, thanks again to the OP, it's a wonderful (if extravagantly calorific) meal.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ht=yummy+pasta
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I also just do basil, parm, oil, and pine nuts in the food processor. If you're out of pine nuts or they're too expensive, you can use walnuts.

I do pesto chicken salad -

Cook a whole chicken (or a bunch of chicken breasts or pieces parts) in the crockpot. Shred the meat with a fork and let cool. Put the meat in a bowl. Add a dollop of mayo (I hate mayo, so I use almost none) and "enough" pesto. Stir. If you want it more pesto-y, add more pesto.

Great on sandwiches, over greens, or by itself.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

We make pesto potatoes - cut up red potatoes (or yukon golds work well too!) into a greased casserole dish, pour pesto over the top, then sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan. Bake til done (usually we stick it in the oven with whatever else we're making, bake until potatoes are tender). Super yummy!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Being a vegetarian, one of my favorite things to do with pesto is to layer a slice of buffalo mozzarella, a tomato slice (I use organic tomatoes on the vine), and pesto and eat just like that. Yummy and quick!
    ~ Becca

DS: 11/09
    DC: Arriving 12/11