Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Giant Squash! Now what?

My husband was gifted a huge zucchini (pardon spelling) by a client; now what the heck am I supposed to do with it? It's at least 4 or 5 pounds.

Suggestions, please???

We have a zucchini plant, so I have a lot of suggestions

Zucchini Fries
    Cut it up in french fry shapes, dip in egg white/ water, roll in parmesan/ breadcrumbs, bake on lightly oiled baking sheet at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Zucchini Bread. I use this recipe, and double the zucchini:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Zu...ad/Detail.aspx

Zucchini Pancakes/ Fritters:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Old-Fas...rs/Detail.aspx

Have fun!
    Erin
    DS 8/05
    DD 1/08
    DS 3/11

There are lots of fabulous recipes out there for zucchini bread, brownies, and chocolate cake. You grate the zucchini and use it like you might use applesauce in a baking recipe--the finished product is really nice and moist, and tastes NOTHING like zucchini or veggies! Just do a quick search on allrecipes.com. I like using my giant zucchini for baking recipes--sometimes those big ol' squash are too tough or whatever for sauteeing, but they are perfect for grating up and putting in a chocolate cake!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

I love throwing thinly sliced zucchini in a pan with a bit of oil, add some crushed garlic, salt and pepper and a bit of sliced onions. Eat with rice. You can add other vegetables too.

I love roasting zucchini in the oven with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and eating it in a veggie sandwich with roasted red bell peppers, hummus, baslamic vinegar and fresh baby spinach.

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jenny View Post
    I love throwing thinly sliced zucchini in a pan with a bit of oil, add some crushed garlic, salt and pepper and a bit of sliced onions. Eat with rice. You can add other vegetables too.
    this is the only way my mother cooks zucchini. As a child, I wasn't a fan. As an adult, I love it!

I recently made this recipe from Williams-Sonoma (saw it pictured in one of the catalogs):

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...2BBD51D338371A

It was AWESOME. All four of us loved it and it calls for 2 lbs of zucchini!

As a PP said, sometimes the giant zucchini are best shredded for cakes/muffins/breads. You can shred it and freeze the shreds if you aren't ready to deal with baking right now.

enjoy!

marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07