Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine does most of the time - we live in cooler climate year-round, so it's either leggings, capris, or bike shorts under cotton playdresses. If we're somewhere very warm - no way am I going to inflict that on her. But she almost always does at school. Not all the girls do, and I think that's fine - whatever they're comfortable with. I don't think it's appropriate to make a big deal about "modesty" at this age, or make them self-conscious about their bodies. I'd be annoyed by the remarks your DD's teacher made and it would make me question the preschool a litte. At the same time, I would probably invest in some bike shorts to avoid the teacher talking to your DD about why girls should always dress modestly - roll of eyes.

for Sandy Hook

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

[QUOTE=citymama;2466830] I don't think it's appropriate to make a big deal about "modesty" at this age, or make them self-conscious about their bodies. [QUOTE]

I agree with this. I've been watching this thread with interest because I had never really thought about this issue. Since I don't have a daughter, I can't say what I would do. But it seems kind of sad to me if it is really necessary to start teaching our daughters at this young age that they must always be so covered up, even if it is for the own "protection". (Not equating this, but it reminds me a little of requiring burqas to protect women's modesty.) I do think requiring shorts all the time has the potential to send a message to girls that there is something bad or offensive about their bodies. What is the worst that happens at that age if someone catches a glimpse of some underwear or even a bit more at times? I never wore shorts under my skirts when I was growing up and I wore jumpers/skirts everyday as part of my uniform. I don't remember it ever being an issue. But, as I said, perhaps time have changed and it is now necessary.
    Last edited by mousemom; 09-04-2009 at 11:40 AM.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD wears shorts under her skirts/dresses. Not so much for modesty though. She has issues with her pullups moving and then if she pees in it it comes out the sides. I've tried bigger pullups but they were to big (FWIW, she is 2 and wears the 3T-4T pullup. The next size was to large and she was leaking through). I use the bike shorts as another layer under hear to keep the pullup in place and to stop pee from running down her leg.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I don't think it's appropriate to make a big deal about "modesty" at this age, or make them self-conscious about their bodies.
    Agreeing w/ this as well. My DD isn't in preschool, and we do use shorts or boxer briefs (LOL) under DD's dresses sometimes, but for me, it comes down to this being an individual family choice. Some families will prefer the modesty of bike shorts, but to have a *pre*school say something to me would probably make me feel uncomfortable. I know my DS's modesty came into play right around age 5 naturally.

My DD#1 sometimes wears shorts or leggings. It really depends on the situation. I told her Kindergarten teacher I would be putting a pair of shorts in her bookbag on the occasions we forget to make sure she's wearing pants or shorts for gym. Helena also insists on shorts if her shirt is shorter then her knees. She tends to be quite the tomboy so she has learned which outfits to put the shorts or legging on underneath for modesty.
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't have a problem with a teacher mentioning shorts would be a good idea. Sliding panties aren't uncommon for a climbing, sitting, *scratching* preschooler.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Most of the time, yes.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4