Default baby wearing in winter

So I have a question for seasoned baby wearers. I currently live in california where this really isn't a problem, but we're moving to northern Italy in the middle of winter, where it gets much much colder. How in the world do you carry your baby/toddler on your back with your coat, and their coat, and all that bulkiness. I've seen my friends front carry their baby and zip up the coat up to their head, looks funny and cute at the same time. But I'm not sure how my back will be able to handle front carrying all that much now that she's 20 lbs.
    -Tess

DD1 4/07

DD2 1/09

DS1 2/12

Running in with a 2009 BOB Duallie Revolution in Navy

Running faster with a 2011 BOB Single Revolution in Plum

Sporting my 2010 Bugaboo Bee+ in Sage, definitely my guilty pleasure

Shopping with a 2010 Black BJCMD

Cruising in an 07 Acura MDX with a Britax Boulvard, Radian, and Graco Snugride all in a row!

There are a bunch of babywearing garments out there that can help. My personal favorite is the peekaroo babywearing vest. Check it out here: http://www.togetherbe.com/productDes...uOriginal.aspx

The vest works for all types of front or back baby carriers. If you are just using a mei tai or buckle carrier, you could try a fleece mei tai cover from Catbird Baby. They aren't out yet, though, I think they are coming out in October.
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I made myself a no-sew cape/shawl for back carries out of fleece. BUT for really cold weather, I use my Ergo. I've also used my Storch. You and the baby can be bundled up and it doesn't matter.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/