Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: class size?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sarah went to private K, and there were 19 kids with a teacher and a full time assistant.

In (public) first she had 23 with a teacher and a half time assistant (whose main function was to work with ESOL kids but they would help out wherever was needed really). In 2nd she had 21 kids in her class with one teacher and a quarter time ESOL aide.

ETA: Some schools are designated Title 1 (certain percentage of student below the poverty level) and they get additional funding to keep classes K-2 (maybe K-3?) below a certain number.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

My school district (DD is only 3 so doesn't attend yet) has no more than 15-18 children in a kindergarten class (7 teachers for an average of 120-150 students each year) and each classroom has its own teaching assistant.
    DD '06
    DD '14

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1's elementary school splits the kindergartners into "early" (8:30am to 1:15pm) and "late" (10am to 2:45pm) kindergarten, with the mid point containing both groups.

For DD1's class, the early group has 10 kids, and the late group has 7 kids. So when it is just the early or late group, the class is very small. When they are together at the midpoint of the day, their total is then 17 kids.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My son's half day K class has 14 kids. The full day K (which you have to pay extra for) has a large class size, b/c it is more desirable. I'm glad that my son's in a smaller class though and there was one full day K teacher I've heard bad things about, so this way he didn't have to get her.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD's public K class is 16. Class size was a big reason why we chose this school over other more "prestigious" (read: higher test scores) schools in town.

IME as an elementary teacher anything over 20 (in the primary grades) starts to impact quality of instruction in a big way.
    Laurel

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

24 kids, two full time teachers, kindergarten, private school.

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I guess I'll wait and see how things go. Looks like the sign up for parent volutneer was huge so that's nice. Hopefully the kids won't suffer due to it being a class on the larger side.

thanks to all that replied! I appreciate it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4