elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How do you keep your sofas from banging into the wall?

Random I know, but we have been having problems when the top edge of our couch hits the wall it's up against. The paint comes off and the couch leaves a black mark on the wall. It's been slowly getting worse since we moved in. So we want to fix it, paint over, and figure out a way to prevent it from happening again.
    The couch sits on hardwood in the back and the front legs are on a rug. It's still really easy to slide it back when you sit your butt down on the deep couch and scooch back though.
    DH did put these grippy things on the bottom but they are not working. He also does not want to put a chair rail up and he's right in that it won't look right in the room.
    I suggested putting some kind of little barrier between the legs and the base moulding but he said that will just ruin the legs and/or the moulding. Gah!
    He is REALLY focusing on this issue when I think the real problem is that he is worried about other things (his health) but I still want to help him resolve this.
    His solution is for us to just "be careful" and not throw our weight against the couch. Easier said than done though.
    DD
    DS

For the life of me I can't remember the name of these - it's not casters, those are glass - feet maybe? Square rubber things that you put under the legs of your furniture. They do a fairly good job of keeping the furniture from moving on our hardwood (they're actually supposed to protect the floor). But I think you still have to be careful not to sit with too much force.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Honestly, I use old paperback books between the legs and the wall. THe books give enough not to damage the legs or the wall and I can customize the wideth. It's not fancy, but it works. Also, the majority of the book is hidden behind the couch. I line up the edge of the book with the edge of the leg, so you can't see them unless you are really looking.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had a rubbery "mat" that you put under throw rugs to keep them from slipping. It was too big for our rug, so I cut some squares out of the excess and put those under the couch legs. The mat was similar to that rubber mesh looking shelf liner that you put in kitchen cabinets or drawers. Maybe you could try that.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

reneed is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have a couch that does that and I tried everything. I finally took a piece of fabric as close to the color of the wood as I could get, rolled it tube like piece, sewed it, threw in some stuffing and velcro'd it to the back of the couch. It works. I put it behind the couch where you can't see it and it totally solved the problem....

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would make sure your carpet has something under it to prevent slipping (assuming that's the kind of carpet it is!).......put rubber carpet casters under the front legs and hardwood floor casters under the back legs ("casters" may not be the right word, but they sell them at lowes in the hardware section) that should prevent the couch from slipping

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

THanks everyone! I just put some paperbacks down there and I want to see if DH notices. I think he will but it's definitely a great temporary fix!
    It's weird, we put those rubber/gripper/caster things on the bottom and we still have couch scooching. I think I am one of the main culprits because I have to adjust myself alot while BF DS on that couch and I am just not delicate about it.
    DD
    DS