Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help for cracked / bleeding nipples while pumping

This morning I had my second experience with cracked / bleeding nipples during a pumping session - yuck and ouch. The first time it happened my doctor said to ease up on the suction until it healed and to use lanolin after every session. I have followed his instructions, but am now having this problem again, and this time on the other breast.

Dylan is now 3 months old -- I thought that this occurred early on, when the breasts are getting used to the increased demands. Has anyone else experienced this issue this far out from giving birth? Any other suggestions besides lanolin?

TIA!
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you using flanges that are too small, or not centering your nipples in the flanges when pumping?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I do center the flanges on my nipples, but have not tried a larger flange size. I don't think that they are rubbing against the sides, but it may be worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

In addition to a proper flange size, I recommend using olive oil to lubricate. I had the same problem (and more) until I found a chat board for exclusively pumping.
    You may be able to find more information that helps your pumping experience there too.
    http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppexcluspump
    DD1 & DD2 9/2008

Are you nursing in addition to pumping? If so, is Dylan latching on properly? Incorrect latch-on is usually the cause of cracked nipples, although it certainly could be from the pumping too. Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon!

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really didn't like lanolin (too sticky IMO) -- try rubbing a little expressed milk on your nipples after each pumping session and letting it air dry (this only takes a sec). There's usually a little left on the flanges so that you don't have to contaminate anything.

GL -- sore nips suck!

I am exclusively pumping, so no latch problems here.

I have heard of the expressed milk suggestion, but wonder how effective it is between pumping sessions. Because the lanolin is so thick, I feel like it does stay on and continue to work between sessions. Has anyone tried using expressed milk instead of lanolin and had success? Definitely willing to give it a try if it will help.
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

You know, I wondered when I initially read this post whether too much lanolin could be your problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in here, but I thought too much lanolin could be like if you put on chapstick too often. Your bodies natural oils get blocked and under-produced so you end up with a bigger problem. It seems odd that your pump is cracking your nipples. I would say either (1) your flanges are the wrong size or (2) you are turning the suction up too high. I would try the expressed milk and maybe cut back on the lanolin a bit, especially if your nipples are doing okay. I stopped using lanolin entirely after the first month or so. For really cracked up nipples soothies work well at maintaining a moist enough environment that your nipples won't dry and crack. I thought they were great for the recovery from the initial "trauma" of BF.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Snow mom,

Can you provide more information on Soothies? I have heard of Soothie pacifiers, but I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to in your post. TIA!
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteMommy View Post
    Snow mom,

Can you provide more information on Soothies? I have heard of Soothie pacifiers, but I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to in your post. TIA!
    I think they are the gel pads. I googled and found these:

My LC gave me Ameda's ComfortGel pads in the hospital when I had bleeding/sore nipples. The coolness of the gel felt sooooo good.

My pain ended after a week or two so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice about recurring nipple pain. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you get some good tips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast