Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What do you think about the stoller ban.

I heard this on the radio and had mixed emotions.

I can sorta understand the owners idea behind banning them. I am just wondering how many double/triple stollers she gets in her store that this is a problem. I have a double and I have never had a problem with it. If I did break something I would pay for it but I shouldn't be banned from a store just in case. I know it is her store and she can do anything she wants but is banning them the answer?

What do you think?

http://www.digitalcity.com/2009/08/2...w-jersey-town/

"It's important to note that I like children and believe they are the future. You just need to teach them well and let them lead the way. However (to continue with Whitney), I decided long ago to never walk in anyone's shadow, especially the shadow of a massive doublewide baby stroller being leisurely pushed down a crowded Manhattan sidewalk clogging foot traffic.

Like pollution and crime, I thought doublewide strollers were a big city issue. I was wrong. There's a doublewide stroller battle raging in Westfrield, N.J. and it's getting ugly."
    Last edited by BabyMine; 09-04-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: length
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just think it'a waste of energy to get in such a frenzy over this.

Some stores in my area, ask for strollers to be parked outside during the winter. I get that they don't want you to track snow on their carpets, and I dont' mind because it's their store. If I didn't like it I could just not shop there and take my business elsewhere.

I honestly think these moms are overreacting and taking it too personally. I'm sure he posted that sign because of some incident involving a double stroller. I know it's really inconvenient to have to take two kids out of the stroller, and if they're twins or both really young, you couldn't carry both. But like I said, if you don't like it or find it inconvenient, just don't shop there. Ultimately is the guy's store he can do whatever he wants, if he's not breaking some law.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    I just think it'a waste of energy to get in such a frenzy over this.

Some stores in my area, ask for strollers to be parked outside during the winter. I get that they don't want you to track snow on their carpets, and I dont' mind because it's their store. If I didn't like it I could just not shop there and take my business elsewhere.

I honestly think these moms are overreacting and taking it too personally. I'm sure he posted that sign because of some incident involving a double stroller. I know it's really inconvenient to have to take two kids out of the stroller, and if they're twins or both really young, you couldn't carry both. But like I said, if you don't like it or find it inconvenient, just don't shop there. Ultimately is the guy's store he can do whatever he wants, if he's not breaking some law.
    I agree. People don't have to shop there and the business owner accepts that he could lose business.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it's getting blown out of proportion. It's his choice, and he knows he may lose some customers...

Although, if people take in their toddlers without the stroller...he may have 2 bulls in his china shop!
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I agree with PPs. I just don't shop in places that are hard for me to maneuver with a stroller or that I feel are not welcoming to children.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Those moms mentioned in that article shouldn't have reproduced. I feel sorry for those kids having those kinds of people for parents. Likening a stroller to a person in a wheelchair? That's an insult and a step back against disabled people everywhere.

And yes, I have a double wide stroller.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I've been to plenty of stores that don't allow strollers in them and it doesn't bother me. Even a local zoo doesn't allow strollers in its gift shop.

Personally I'd rather they be forthcoming and post a sign, so I can avoid the store rather than go in only to realize there's not enough room or that the owner is the type to watch you like a potential criminal just because you have kids and/or a stroller.

On the other side of the issue, I will say that we had a lot of theft involving strollers when I was managing a toy store so I can see banning them for that reason too. People would try to slip stuff into the baskets or under blankets and walk out with it. (Now don't get me wrong, I mean these people intentionally placed the items in their strollers with the intent to steal them--I'm not talking about the "oops I forgot" or "I didn't realize my DC put that in there" situations that we've all been in.) We had one set of women bring in an empty stroller with a blanket covering it like there was a baby sleeping in it. They loaded up almost $400 in merchandise under that blanket and walked out the door (where they were promptly stopped and held for the police of course). I totally understand retail shop owners posting such signs out of wanting to protect their investment either from damage or theft.
    Jen

I would take my business elsewhere, and not give it another thought.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What if you have triplets?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I am a little that such a huge uproar is over a stroller ban. And the threats and hate mail to the owner of the store is just way over the top. If he accepts he may lose some business, then it's his right not to have large strollers in his store. If room is that tight, why would anyone with a double wide want to take it in there anyway? It'd be a nightmare to maneuver.

Course I'm biased because the only double(wide) stroller I have is a jogger, and I've used it only once.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast