Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Replacing covers on Graco carseat/stroller?

When we had our first I bought a Graco Metrolite car seat/stroller combo in a brown and pink cherry blossom print. It was too pretty to pass up. I guess I just assumed I'd have another girl for our second but nature knew better
    Is there a way to buy another cover for the carseat and stroller and just use the original frames or do I have to look for a new stroller and carseat? (Or confuse everyone if we use the pink stuff)? I couldn't find any info on the Graco website.

There is are instructions at this blog for replacing seat covers... maybe you can ask about strollers too? (although those are easier to find on CL) -- if worse comes to worse, you could take the stroller in for the 20% BRU trade-in deal and pick up another Metrolite (or a Mosaic like I have ) for a reduced price.
    http://blog.gracobaby.com/2008/08/05/1-faq/
    ETA - I might even look on CL for a 'used car seat' - NOT to use the seat, but to steal the cover
    Last edited by GraceH; 09-03-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    DS October 2007
    Busy Budgeted Chicagoland Mommy

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I once bought a high chair at a garage sale and the cover was really nasty, so I went on Graco's site and was able to order one there. Try this link:
    http://www.gracobaby.com/Replacement...mentParts.aspx

Otherwise, I would give Graco a call. They've go to have some replacement covers. Good luck!

lil96 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

I personally don't recommend replacing car seat covers, bc it *may* render the seats safety and lead to car seat malfunction in the case of an accident, but I do belive graco sells replacement covers. When buying a new cover, remember it has to be the exact same year model, etc that matches your old seat to make sure it has a good fit.

Thanks for the info. I contacted Graco and they sent me a link to the replacement parts for my specific model. Looks like there are replacement pads for the carseat for $40 plus shipping. She said replacement stroller fabrics are not available, but I checked for the print she listed and there is a Metrolite stroller with that print and it looks exactly the same as mine so I'm not sure why she said that. It looks like replacing the carseat and stroller fabrics (canopy plus seat) will cost about $90 with shipping. Which leads me to my dilemma--pay $90 to swap fabrics, or just put that money toward buying a new stroller and sell the old one? The Metrolite is OK but it's kind of bulky and I've been drooling over a Peg Si ever since I heard about it. Those Peg carseats are really expensive though so I'm not sure if it's worth buying a new carseat.
    Or, should I just abandon the single stroller and buy a double since I'll have a toddler and baby? I have my eye on the BJ City Select or the Valco Ion Double although I don't know much about them. I also have an secondhand umbrella stroller (Silver Cross Pop) but I don't think it takes carseats.
    I should also mention that I have an Ergo that I used a lot with my first so I'm very used to babywearing. I'm so confused right now about what I need. Help! (strollerqueen?)

Personally, my vote would be to sell your current one instead of going through the whole bother. I tried to take the seat off my metrolite to wash it.....after 45 minutes I gave up. I LOVE my metrolite, but must admit that when DD2 outgrows the carseat I will probably be selling the set and buying one a little more fun =) Also seriously looking at the Si

The peg si takes a graco, check out babygizmo.com video review on the peg si. So that way you don't have to buy the expensive peg car seat

As for the whole double/single situation, it's an ongoing discussion on this forum. I'm in the same boat. I think it depends on how you use the stroller and how old your first child is.

I couldn't live without both. I like to go for long walks, and the idea of carrying my rather heavy baby the whole way would persuade me not to go. So I have a BOB Duallie (hubby likes to run, otherwise I would have gotten the Babyjogger). Then for short walks outside/shopping I use the single stroller/carrier combo. With baby in stroller while toddler walks, then when toddler is heavy transfer baby to carrier. i figure eventually DD1 will walk more and more. There is no way I could get her to stay in the stroller at first anyway. I've been eyeing the Si because it looks like a good combo between umbrella and full feature stroller. But then a sunshade is incredibley important to me, otherwise I would have done a mac, I hear they have better steering.

My girls are 21 months apart, and I must admit, this system was really difficult at first. DD2 didn't like to fall asleep in the car just to be put in the carrier, just to be put back in the car seat. But I didn't get out much anyway, so now that she's older it's a lot easier. I got a Joovy off craigslist and sold it for what I bought it for, for those rare occasions that I needed to make a quick trip to the store. (that thing was way too hard to push and steer, which is why I got rid of it as soon as I could live without it.)

Sorry, that's a bit of a mouth full to chew on.
    -Tess

DD1 4/07

DD2 1/09

DS1 2/12

Running in with a 2009 BOB Duallie Revolution in Navy

Running faster with a 2011 BOB Single Revolution in Plum

Sporting my 2010 Bugaboo Bee+ in Sage, definitely my guilty pleasure

Shopping with a 2010 Black BJCMD

Cruising in an 07 Acura MDX with a Britax Boulvard, Radian, and Graco Snugride all in a row!

You could get the Graco Mosaic in Lemongrass (black & green) new for under $100 at BRU after coupons (you can play with the brown/pink in any BRU - it has lovely umbrella styling, but is less than half the price of the Si)... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3601299 Then sell the metrolite on Craigslist and use the $ to buy a used carseat for the cover?
    OR sell the entire system set on CL and buy the matching Lemongrass SnugRide32 (which has twice as long the average outgrowth as the original snugRide and a MUCH better base) http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3330193 (I like the neutrality of 'Lemongrass')

ETA: How old will DD be when DS arrives?
    Last edited by GraceH; 09-04-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    DS October 2007
    Busy Budgeted Chicagoland Mommy

DD will be 2 years 7 months when DS is born.
    So it looks like from what everyone says I should plan to have both a single and double stroller.
    I think I may just sell the Graco travel system (or just sell the stroller part and keep the Snugride but buy the new fabric) and get a Peg Perego Si, UppaBaby G-luxe or other compact single that can accept a carseat. And I would put one in the stroller and Ergo the other (I actually can carry my 2 year old in the Ergo still since she's petite).
    Single would be used for errands and quick trips, short walks.
    For the double, what would you pick? These are all the ones I've heard about (any others feel free to suggest):
    BJCMD/CCD/CED or City Select
    Valco Ion 4 Two or Valco Trimode with toddler seat
    Uppa Baby Vista with rumble seat
    Icandy Peach
    Phil and Ted's
    BOB, Graco, Joovy, Sit & Stand etc. (although these look kinda bulky)
    Double would mainly be used for things like zoo, aquarium/museums, walks around the neighborhood or along flat paths, not for jogging and it doesn't snow here. I like easy and compact folds. I don't want it to be too heavy or bulky because it needs to fit in the car (smaller one is a Forester, unless we break down and buy a minivan). Also I would like to take it when we travel if it's not too huge. So I kinda like the idea of tandem type doubles, unless side by side is about the same size/weight.

Thanks for any suggestions and all the advice so far!

ETA: What BRU coupons did you use? They used to give out those little coupon books but the last couple times I've been there they didn't have any.
    Last edited by goldenpig; 09-05-2009 at 03:09 AM.

How do I wash the Metrolite stroller if the fabric doesn't come off? The seat part is a little dirty. And how much should I ask for a Metrolite stroller, or stroller plus Snugride plus two carseat bases? They are two years old but otherwise in good condition.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

check your local craigslist and see what they're going for in your area. I'm in the bay area, california, and was going to post mine for 100, hope to get at leat 75 out of it, but my set is 3 years old and has been through 2 kids. I think generally with one use you can expect to get at least half of what you paid for, maybe even a little more depending on the demand of the product.

The problem I had with taking the stroller seat off was getting the buckles through the strap slot (does that make sense). at least that's how mine are. I figured I'd have to cut the slot to be a little bit bigger to get it through. I'd probably have to do it to sell it, mine is a little dirty too, I've taken that thing everywhere!!!
    -Tess

DD1 4/07

DD2 1/09

DS1 2/12

Running in with a 2009 BOB Duallie Revolution in Navy

Running faster with a 2011 BOB Single Revolution in Plum

Sporting my 2010 Bugaboo Bee+ in Sage, definitely my guilty pleasure

Shopping with a 2010 Black BJCMD

Cruising in an 07 Acura MDX with a Britax Boulvard, Radian, and Graco Snugride all in a row!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast