Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which Extra PreK Activity Would You Choose?

At DD's school, they have outside groups that come in once a week (different days), pull the kids out of class and they go to a 30 minute class/activity. Average cost is $40/month. I've decided to let DD take ONE of these classes this year. The classes offered are Spanish , Computer Tutor, FunBus and playball http://www.coachingplayball.com/play..._work_playball

I have no interest in FunBus and DD's teacher is Spanish and will be teaching some Spanish in her class. DD has shown an interest in the Computer class and playball. I asked her which is her favorite (all the kids got a free demo class the first week of school) and she said both of them. I truly wish I could put her in both, but I just can't pay $80/month in addition to her tuition and her dance class.

Here are my pros and cons:

Computer Tutor - DD has shown a growing interest in using the computer. When I picked her up at school the other day, she was sitting by herself at the computer in her classroom during free time. There are 13 boys in DD's class (out of 18 kids), so the classroom can be very noisy at times. I like that she would get a 30 minute break and have some quiet time away from the craziness once a week. I don't like that it's sedentary.

playball - Other parents have raved about this. It is very professional and teaches true athletic skills. DD has shown some athletic ability - kicking a ball while running, able to hit a ball (that is pitched to her) with a bat, etc. The groups are small - 8 kids at a time, so a lot of one on one time. DD has already lost some of her athletic skill that we saw when she was 2 and 3 years old because we just don't have the time to go out and do as much with her since I started working more hours/week and DH started a new job that has been very demanding. I like that it's active, teaches a skill and has a purpose, not just running around on the playground. However, it doesn't really give DD a break, unless just being out of the class for 30 minutes and in a smaller group would give her a break.

I really like both for totally different reasons, but am not sure what I want to do. I'm thinking (just now thought of this!) that she could do one of them this fall and the other in the spring. Pretty sure we can stop and start anytime. I'll look into that option. However, if you could only choose one, which would you choose and why?

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I would go with playball. I think physical education is important, and I personally believe that all our kids will get more than enough computer exposure over their lifetime than is healthy. Even from an ergonomic standpoint, I don't think a lot of computer usage for young children is a good idea. My DD is also going to start Pre-K this Fall, and I would definitely pick playball. Sure, 30 minutes a week is not a lot, but I guess I have a personal thing against too much computer, and too little physical activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    I would go with playball. I think physical education is important, and I personally believe that all our kids will get more than enough computer exposure over their lifetime than is healthy. Even from an ergonomic standpoint, I don't think a lot of computer usage for young children is a good idea. My DD is also going to start Pre-K this Fall, and I would definitely pick playball. Sure, 30 minutes a week is not a lot, but I guess I have a personal thing against too much computer, and too little physical activity.
    I would go with playball.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Me three for playball. The computer is something that is so easy to learn at home.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My first choice would be playball too.

Another vote for playball. If she is really interested in computers you can go to pbskids.org or the disney site for safe pre-k types games for free at home. Ds and I like to play computer together on rainy days
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely playball--let her move around. As PP have said, she can do computer at home.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would go with the playball, just because I think I could teach her computer skills myself, but I probably couldn't teach her athletics.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would go woth play ball. I think this type of activity IS a break for kids.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Another vote for playball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast