Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Personally I'd rather have a school system, a police force & firemen, interstate highways, a justice system, an army, disaster relief funds, national parks, licensing rules for driving, the EPA to prevent companies from dumping waste into public waterways, and the many other benefits that come from taxes than I would want that 30% of my income back! And I put reasonable health care for everyone in the same bucket as the services I've listed above.

Unless you live in a cave, everyone benefits from gov't at some level.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygirl View Post
    Can you imagine what it's like to be in this situation? I can't imagine the patient's side of things. I only get the frustration at all the waste that takes place - money, resources, time, manpower. And I've not heard other options from the Republican side. Do they want us to let these people die in the streets? Or should we deport them, which is the same thing as a death sentence, literally they will die within a week. I don't believe that most Republicans would want that, except in some of my darker hours. But the current rhetoric that you cite is, forgive me, either willfully blind or dangerously naive.
    How's about better screening at the boarders and really enforces punishments to anyone/corporations who hire an illegal immigrant? If some other countries can do it, why can't the US? Just don't wait till they become problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygirl View Post
    Can you imagine what it's like to be in this situation? I can't imagine the patient's side of things. I only get the frustration at all the waste that takes place - money, resources, time, manpower. And I've not heard other options from the Republican side. Do they want us to let these people die in the streets? Or should we deport them, which is the same thing as a death sentence, literally they will die within a week. I don't believe that most Republicans would want that, except in some of my darker hours. But the current rhetoric that you cite is, forgive me, either willfully blind or dangerously naive.
    How's about better screening and really enforces punishments to anyone/corporations who hire an illegal immigrant? If some other countries can do it, why can't the US? Just don't wait till they become problems.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I actually put it on my FB status yesterday

I did so because I agree with the spirit behind the statement. But I make no assumptions about people who disagree with the proposed health plan. To me it's a very complicated issue, and I still have not had a chance to look at it myself. I just know that we can't continue on the way we are.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
    How's about better screening and really enforces punishments to anyone/corporations who hire an illegal immigrant? If some other countries can do it, why can't the US? Just don't wait till they become problems.
    Well according to what I saw on "Food, inc," there are a lot of connections between some of these mega corporations and the upper levels of govt. I was pretty shocked to see who used to be connected with some of the largest food companies in this country.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Millions of immigrants are here already and they are not going anywhere. If I were an immigrant in another country and needed healthcare, I would sure hope I would have access to it if it was an emergency situation.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Not to mention that no one has mentioned increasing income tax on people below $250,000.

And on the issue of "I'd rather choose where my tax money goes to than have the govt. decide," could you imagine a system like that??? So, then I get to decide that my tax $ doesn't go to fund the war in Iraq, or contracts to Haliburton, or to roads I don't drive on...
    I recall either Obama or Gibbs mentioning a few months ago that it wasn't off the table to lower that maximum. Regardless, prices will be raised for all of us. A family having less money for Starbucks and cleaning ladies is very different than a family having to eat differently or not being able to save for retirement. I'd like to meet someone who truly believes that anyone who makes less than $250k won't be affected financially.

Yes, we do all benefit from govn't. We darn well should. We can afford to give excellent healthcare to politicians because of our taxes. There simply isn't enough money for all of us to have it that nice.

I recall reading in the Sunday paper this past week that if all the wealth in all the world was distributed evenly we'd all get our fair share of $9000. Yes, nine thousand. Who wants to throw theirs in the pot first?
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Quote Originally Posted by Wife_and_mommy View Post
    Fairy, with all due respect, most people don't have cleaning ladies or Starbucks addictions to cut out of budgets.

This board is primarily made up of higher income families who may have more give in a budget for taxes. The median income of Americans, as rich as they are simply by living in the U.S., was $50,223 in 2007. Would you say the same if that was your income?

Personally, I'd rather choose who my dollars go to than have the govn't decide, no matter my income.

Also, considering SS and Medicare will be bankrupt in the next 10-30 years, it's been nice while it's lasted but then what?

BTW, I always find it amusing to hear people say they don't mind paying more taxes. Income taxes were never meant to reach the proportions it has. Anyone is welcome to mail checks to the IRS. They might even send you a t-shirt.

I shouldn't have logged on this computer so you won't hear from me anymore today. Just had to throw those $.02 in.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd like to meet someone who truly believes that anyone who makes less than $250k won't be affected financially.
    Well my FIL who is dying as he waits for a bone-marrow transplant probably wouldn't be dealing with bankruptcy paperwork for medical bills right now if the reforms make it through.

And what happened to him could happen to ANY of us. Any of us. His condition isn't lifestyle-related (no obesity, smoking, etc) and he does have decent private insurance. It just isn't enough.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would rather take the money my family now spends in health insurance premiums that fund outrageous CEO slaries and obscene profits and INVEST it in a health CARE system that provides fair, affordable healthcare access to my family, my friends, my children's friends, my neighbors, my community ... and even to people who would not offer the same basic humanity to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast