Default lunch on-the-go ideas for me?

Back to work Tuesday, going to try to use my lunch period to visit DD and fit in a BFing session, so no real lunch for me (I'd usually eat a real meal in the quite-good cafeteria). I'll probably have to eat something while running to and from my car (that part will take longer than the drive itself, LOL!) I have snacky stuff like Lara bars and nuts in my office to pick at, but think I will need something more substantial.
    Requirements (because I know you love a challenge! )
    * Nothing that requires fridge or microwave as these aren't available.
    * Easy to throw in bag (already lugging bags for both DCs plus my work/laptop bag plus pumping stuff every day).
    * No dairy or soy.
    You think baked oatmeal? Other thoughts? TIA!
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was able to use my lunch hour to nurse DS after I went back to work and it was great - I felt better about seeing him, he was happier to nurse and it saved me from having an extra pumping session. Made the transition back easier (not that it was easy anyway).

What wasn't great was that I then had no real chance to eat my own lunch. The only thing I found that worked was a sandwich of some sort. I was eating in the car or on my way back from it, so nothing too messy - mostly lunch meat, bagel with spread of some sort, pita w/hummus, etc. In terms of refrigeration, can you just stick a sandwich in the cooler bag you bring for pumped milk? Hopefully, maybe others will have more creative ideas for you.

The good news is that DS is now much speedier at nursing, so I actually have 15 or 20 minutes after I get back to the office to heat something up and eat a real lunch.

Good luck with the return to work!
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

PB&J sandwich?
    Bran muffin and an apple

Could you heat up one of those cup of soup things in a micro before leaving work and drink it in the car?
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

nak
    Yeah, I am thinking sandwich, too, but it is such a pita to find bread I can eat, so I've been baking my own... which I fear I won't have as much time for. Bran muffin and fruit sounds good. No microwave available at all (without adding another 10+ min to walk to the building where there is one).
    Last edited by justincase; 09-06-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you have a Thermos you could bring some hot soup or similar...it would probably only be warm by lunchtime but I'd be OK with that. What about tuna salad, egg salad, salmon salad, or similar (does mayo have dairy in it? I don't think it does...), cut-up fruits and veggies, crackers and peanut butter, wraps (I love them with hummus, avocado, black beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese but you can omit the cheese), nuts.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do cut veggies or fruit and a protein shake (made with protein powder/water). Not super interesting but healthy and should keep you satisfied until your next 'real' meal.
    Here is one resource for a protein powder that would work for your needs (have not tasted it though) http://danielaskitchen.com/2009/07/2...that-is-yummy/
    Last edited by infomama; 09-06-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justincase View Post
    nak
    Yeah, I am thinking sandwich, too, but it is such a pita to find bread I can eat, so I've been baking my own... which I fear I won't have as much time for. Bran muffin and fruit sounds good. No microwave available at all (without adding another 10+ min to walk to the building where there is one).
    Why is it hard for you to find bread you can eat? Are you avoiding anything besides dairy and soy? There are many non-dairy breads out there. Bagels too. I dont know much about soy, but I never thought it was in most bread. Am I wrong about that?

It seems to me that the easiest solution would be to find a bread that works for you and just stock your freezer with it. That way you can just make yummy, easy, and filling sandwiches that can be eaten in the car. Nursing mommas have to eat well! Good luck with everything

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. I have some TJ's soups (the carrot ginger is so yummy!) that I could take in a thermos; for some reason I hadn't thought of that. I like the protein drink idea, too. I kind of wanted a list of "different" ideas, KWIM? Different from one another, I mean. I tend to eat the same thing every single day until I am bored and then need to go in a totally different direction. I knew you would have some good ones!

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Why is it hard for you to find bread you can eat? Are you avoiding anything besides dairy and soy? There are many non-dairy breads out there. Bagels too. I dont know much about soy, but I never thought it was in most bread. Am I wrong about that?
    Most of the ones I usually buy for DH and DS do have soy lecithin and/or soybean oil. A lot of "artisan" breads are okay but I don't love those for sandwiches.
    Jessica
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine