HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Nut free desserts that are kosher?

DS's preschool class is completely nut free. They are handling birthdays as a case by case basis b/c of this. However, because the facility is kosher no one can bake in their home and bring to school. It has to be kosher and be store bought. DS's bday is in November, but I figure I should start looking now. anyone know of premade goodies (cupcakes, dougnuts, cookies etc...) that are completely nut free and kosher as well?
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I'm in the same boat!

Don't know where you're located, but I'd go to a kosher bakery and ask. You might also try Trader Joe's.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have you asked the director/principal? Our facility is Kosher (but not nut free - yet) and they have told us that we could bring in donuts from xyz store. Otherwise, the challenge is going to be in finding something that isn't made in the same facility.

Secondarily, why not aim for healthier? Like: http://products.revfoods.com/products/mashups or
    http://www.horizondairy.com/static/n.../march_09.html
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know next to nothing about what makes something kosher or not. But, as a mom of a child with a nut allergy, I do know that I avoid all bakery products - whether or not they are made with nuts. I've heard too many horror stories about accidental cross contamination.

What about a non-baked treat? It has to be store bought, right? How about fruit, dried fruit, jello, italian ice, or ice cream?
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is probably the direction we are headed. The teacher wants to treat everything on a case by case basis. I want a list from the parents of the nut allergic child as to what he/she can eat so I do not have to run around town chasing down stuff--I can just be given the list and told where things are best found. That way no mistakes are made and the snack is correct and the nut allergic child isn't left out.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think it's great that you are taking the initiative on this and planning ahead. My allergic child's school has been great about telling us what is/is not allowed for birthday snacks. (It's not a kosher school, but it is completely nut free, and has been for years.) Hopefully, your school can give you some clear guidelines.

Good luck!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For my DD2's birthday at preschool last year (also in November ) I took in vanilla pudding cups. One of her classmates had a nut allergy. The pudding was fun and it was different from what the kids usually had. The teacher does a candle for the birthday kid and it stood up just fine in DD's pudding cup, LOL.

I just googled "kosher pudding" and found this link - it looks like certain varieties of Kraft Handi Snack pudding are kosher. Here's the link to the certificate for the vanilla pudding.

It's not the healthiest idea by a long shot, but relatively speaking it was healthier than some of the traditional options people brought in. Also, I am very much NOT well versed in what makes an item kosher, so if I've gotten this all wrong please forgive me!
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

I live in an area that has a high Jewish population, and my regular grocery store has a Kosher section, as well as many Kosher items in the bakery. I would guess that there's probably something similar in your area, and that the school would tell you where if you ask.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I know next to nothing about what makes something kosher or not. But, as a mom of a child with a nut allergy, I do know that I avoid all bakery products - whether or not they are made with nuts. I've heard too many horror stories about accidental cross contamination.

What about a non-baked treat? It has to be store bought, right? How about fruit, dried fruit, jello, italian ice, or ice cream?
    Kashrut (Jewish dietary law) is pretty strict, but it's pretty easy.

Basics are not mixing meat with dairy, no predators, no scavengers and if it grows in the ground, usually it's OK to eat. Fish have to have scales and there are only certain birds you are allowed to consume. It's real book of Leviticus stuff, fascinating, really!

Jell-O is usually not Kosher unless it is Ko-Jel (brand name) because of the gelatin. Typically vegan Jell-O has a better chance at being Kosher because the gelatin is not made from animal parts.

I would avoid dairy because the prohibitions against mixing milk with meat go so far as to proscribe when you can eat them, which will vary according to a child's family's custom. For example, Dutch families only need to wait 2 hours between meat and milk, while Syrian families need to wait something like 8-10 hours.

I would go for something marked PAREVE, which means it is neither milk nor meat.

Dried fruit would be fine, provided it is processed in a nut-free facility.
    Fresh Fruit might be a safer option.
    Italian Ices might be OK, provided they are not Dairy (you would be surprised at what can make something dairy!)

Another thing many Kosher families will insist upon is something be sealed at a Kosher facility and not opened until it reaches a Kosher Jew's hands, hence the store-bought proscription. (It has to do with proscriptions about meal preparation. Some families are more strict about it than others.)

No, I am not Jewish, but many of my closest friends are and they keep Kashrut. I have learned a lot from them through the past 14 years of friendship! (My friends call me the only Kosher Catholic they know!)