alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What's your go-to meal to bring for friends?

I need some dishes that transport well, reheat well and can maybe be frozen in portions. You know a meal you'd bring to a friend with a new baby or whatever.

I hate to say it but I've never made a lasagna....

links or recipes would be appreciated!

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like to make quiche for new moms. It could be any meal of the day--not just dinner. I also do a vegetarian sweet potato black bean burritos. I usually freeze some in an 8x8 pan and the rest individually so they can be lunch.

The meals I received the most of when I had the twins were baked ziti, and pot roast.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had about 8 meals brought to me by friends during my postpartum period that were very much appreciated. The one that my kids liked the most and I thought was genius (b/c it was so easy) was sloppy joes. My friend just basically made sloppy joe mix, bought a pkg of hamburger buns, some chips, some chip dip and some baby carrots, and some dessert and it was an quick and easy meal for US to prepare and for her to prepare for us.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

BeachBum, COuld you post the burrito recipe? Sounds great!

I've been doing muffins. Great for breakfast or a snack. My go-to is Oatmeal Blueberry. Everyone seems to love them! I think I've posted the recipe before, I will search and post.

ETA: Here's the blueberry muffins, also a pumpkin muffin recipe

I love love love these blueberry oatmeal muffins, they are always a huge hit. The recipe came from BBB, but I don't know who posted it orginally!! The pumpkin ones are good too, and that one might have been from here as well.

Pumpkin Muffins
    1 c. all purpose flour
    3/4 c. whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. allspice
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 c. buttermilk
    1/4 c. canola oil
    1/2 c. brown sugar--packed
    1/4 c. honey
    1 c. pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper liners. Mix flour through allspice in med. bowl. Mix egg through honey in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix until blended (but don't overbeat). Fill tins 3/4 full. Bake mini muffins 17 minutes, regular muffins 22 minutes (but times may vary depending on your oven).

NOTE: Substitutes for buttermilk/sour milk:
    1 cup milk w/1 tbls lemon juice or white vinegar
    Equal amount sour cream
    Equal amounts yogurt/milk

Blueberry Oat Muffins
    (Makes 12)

1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
    1 cup sour milk
    1 cup flour (I usually do half whole wheat flour)
    1 tsp. Baking powder
    ½ tsp. Baking soda
    ½ tsp. Salt
    ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
    1 egg, beaten
    ¼ cup melted butter
    1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine oats and milk, let stand 5-10 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add egg and butter to oat mixture and stir well. Stir oat mixture into dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Fill lined or well-greased muffin tins with an ice cream scoop, and bake for 20 minutes.

Double the recipe as needed – these muffins freeze really well, if you don’t eat them all before they cool completely.
    Last edited by Twoboos; 09-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use the lasanga recipe from the back of the Barilla No-Boil box in a Gladware "OvenWare" or aluminum pan.

I can pre-assemble up to the baking part overnight ... and the advantage to Gladware is it's already got a lid so it lowers the risk of spillage (just don't put it in the oven or the lid will melt!)

To make it healthier, I use ground turkey breast instead of ground beef and part-skim ricotta & mozzarella cheeses.

I also tend to add chopped fresh herbs when I am being fancy - thyme and parsley work very well together and are more neutral than adding something like rosemary (which I love, but not everybody does) or you can add a half-palmful of bottled Italian Seasoning blend (usually thyme, oregano & parsley) ...

It would definitely freeze/reheat well, although it's never made it that far at our house - the DH loves it and will eat leftovers cold.

I usually do manicotti, baked ziti, or enchiladas. Things that keep well and are great leftovers.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.