jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Preserving choc chips

I bought several bags of Ghiradelli chocolate chips on sale. I'm planning to use them for holiday baking. Should I put them in the freezer to preserve them until I'm ready to use them? TIA

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would freeze them!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Freezer is best. You won't get "bloom" on them (when the cocoa solids start to separate from the cocoa liquor) and they will be fine. If you're concerned about freezer burn, take 'em out of the package & stick 'em in a freezer bag (label them) and suck out any remaining air with a straw, although it's not strictly necessary.

BTW, we LOVE Ghirardelli chocolate chips ... stock up whenever we can!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I bought chocolate bars already for Halloween and my neighbor said not to freeze chocoloate because it will cause the separation of the parts. She's a pastry chef, so I trusted her. She said a cool, dry place is best.

From Cooks Illustrated (need a membership to view the page).
    Keeping Chocolate Fresher Longer
    Shelf Life

Unsweetened and Dark Chocolate: 2 years
    Milk and White Chocolate: 6 months.

Do wrap open bars of chocolate tightly in plastic wrap and store in a cool pantry to ensure optimal freshness. If chocolate is exposed to rapid changes in humidity or temperature, sugar or fat may soften and migrate, discoloring the surface. This cosmetic condition, called bloom, doesn't affect the flavor of the chocolate.

Don't store chocolate in the refrigerator or freezer, as cocoa butter easily absorbs off-flavors from other foods and changes its crystal structure.

Do keep in mind that the milk solids in milk and white chocolate give them a shorter shelf life than unsweetened and dark chocolate.
    Kris