Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Traveling with infant- just how bad is it?

My BFF lives in Missouri and I miss her like crazy. There are stupid cheap fairs right now- like $220 round trip. Pre-baby me would hop a plane w/o batting an eye at those prices. And since DD is so cheerful and easy, I’m still tempted for her and me to hop on a plane and head to St. Louis.
    How crazy is travel with a 6-7month old? Would you do it just for fun? Or is this something you do only if you really have to?
    Becca- 02/2009

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We took DS on a train trip(6-8 hours) to visit my sister when he was about 8 months old, he was very easy, they get harder when they want to start getting down and moving. We probably could do the train with our 5 year old and 14 month old, but I wouldn't do a plane.

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

WAY easier at that age than when they start wanting to move around a lot. Do it!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

I flew from LA to DC when mine were just over 6 months old (4.5 months adjusted). They slept the whole way. They never cried once. I bought seats for them, so they were in their carseats. Honestly, the worse part was the schlepping. Luckily one of my SILs (not the one I'm always complaining about ) came with us. The carseats, carryons, double snap n go, etc were a pain. But I do think it's doable. If I wanted to see someone I missed, I'd do it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think travelling with baby gets a bad rap. DD went on her first plane ride to Sacramento at 2 mos. old., she did just fine in my arms. We had bottle of water ready for her right when we took off and again right when we landed. We then travelled with her again at 6 to 7 mos. and this time we used an empty seat in our row for her infant seat, it worked out great. I would plan on taking your infant seat with you on the plane and crossing your fingers for an open seat next to the window (book yourself the middle seat), and if there isn't one then you can just gate check the infant seat. I only got the "I'm sitting by the crying baby" talk once on our very full return flight from Salt Lake City; it was the only time I wish I would've bought DD a seat when she was 15 mos. old.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

You can take my 21 month old on a flight and I will take your 7 month old! Seriously, it is not that much of a hassle besides the extra packing. Have fun!
    Mama to 3

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've only traveled a few times with kids but like the PP's have said, the small babies are the easiest. Six months would have been ideal since you can still wear them for most of the time (through the airport, etc.) the solid food thing isn't such an issue yet, they still take several naps a day so you can be more flexible with the times, and so on.
    Go for it!
    DD
    DS

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree....buy that ticket! That age is pretty easy IMHO! Traveled with DD on 8 planes from 5-7 months old. Took early flights, nursed her on take off, she slept almost the entire time! Awesome!

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would totally go! You have one DC who is immobile in her bucket carrier. It will never be this easy again, ever! Load up your stroller and have a great trip!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That is still a fine age for travel! It's the toddler time that is a bit hard b/c they want to be out doing stuff but can't be.

Beth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast