Thread: Winter Coats?

Default Winter Coats?

What are your favorite winter coat makers for your toddlers? I'm trying to decide between a Land's End Squall Jacket or Parka or a Gap Warmest Jacket. Any feedback on the two or others you like/prefer would be appreciated! I also plan to get a bib or snow pants as well. We live in Michigan and it can get pretty cold in the winter.
    Kim Mi

DS #1 born 4/22/07
    DS #2 born 11/10/09

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like Ralph Lauren down coats. Great quality. We get them at Polo outlets.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

We are onto our second year with the Land's End Arctic Squall - both jacket and bibs. They have lots of great features - and we normally buy high-end outdoors gear for ourselves since we are very into winter sports, so that's saying a lot. I would not go with something like Gap. They're cute, but for a kiddo playing in the snow, the features just aren't there. I prefer to stick with brands that specialize in outdoors gear - especially for winter.

I grew up where you live and I think the Arctic version might be overkill for you, although it seems like MI is getting colder and snowier winters again, so it might be OK. How often are your kids outside, and do they do winter sports? Those are important things to consider if you're weighing the Arctic against the regular version of the Squall.

If you're looking for name brands I'd check out Bill & Paul's. They have a good selection for kids, though the sales are always after the season is over. REI and EMS online can be good too, especially the overstocks section...too bad your local EMS pulled out
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I'm a former desert dweller from Tucson so I don't like the snow too much if that says anything! But we'll get out sometimes to play in the snow and sled and to and from places. But I want my son to wear a nice jacket and not get cold and be able to play and enjoy himself when we do go outside. If it's too cold of a day, we are likely not going out. I too think the Artic would be overkill for us! Maybe a sport jacket or the squall parka would be better.
    Last edited by kim_mi; 09-17-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    Kim Mi

DS #1 born 4/22/07
    DS #2 born 11/10/09

I think you would do well with the regular Squall, or the equivalent from LLB. If you do some searches on here, you'll find they're both very popular - I'm sorry I can't remember what the LLB one is called, but most of my friends back in MI have it for their kids. I really like both LE and LLB because they have temperature ratings for all their outerwear, and they have great return policies.

For older kids a popular option is to get a nice warm fleece and wear a Gore-Tex shell over it in the colder months. Then you have the fleece for fall/spring. I'm not sure if I'd do that for toddlers or not. All those zippers! LLB does have a 3-in-1 - Baxter state parka IIRC?

When I was growing up I never had something very fancy (until h/s). It wasn't until I moved up here that I had to get truly serious about winterwear - brrr! So, I can empathize a bit with your being transplanted from Tuscon
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton